YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

davis2

Re: YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

Postby davis2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Faxedreceipts66 wrote:
BigGuy wrote:A status report on Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton

By Dan Martin August 14, 2019 | 3:30am

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Giancarlo Stanton, another slugger who has been limited by health woes this season, is making progress from his right knee sprain.

He’s running “75-85 percent” on the anti-gravity treadmill and once he gets to 90 percent, Boone said Stanton can begin running outside.
At that point, Stanton will be able to pick up his defensive work, as well as the amount of hitting he’s doing in the cage.

The next week or two will help determine when Stanton might be able to finally rejoin the team.

The Yankees had just a two-man bench on Tuesday, choosing instead to carry an extra pitcher.

“Sure, there’s hesitation,’’ Boone said before the Yankees’ 8-3 win over the Orioles on Tuesday night at the Stadium. “I would think that will probably change here very soon. We felt we needed length [in the bullpen] in this stretch [of 19 games in 17 days].”

Boone also had both of his catchers in the lineup, with Gary Sanchez as the DH and Austin Romine, who had three hits, behind the plate. Mike Ford served as the emergency catcher.

A day after picking up the win in the Yankees’ victory over the Orioles in Monday’s nightcap, Joe Mantiply was designated for assignment.

Right-hander Adonis Rosa was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and pitched the final two innings Tuesday in his MLB debut, allowing one run on a Renato Nunez homer.

“[Rosa] was fearless,” Boone said. “He gave us what we needed.”

And he was optioned after the game.

Right-hander Daniel Camarena was released from SWB’s roster.

Gio Urshela became the first Yankee to have three hits in three straight games since Alfonso Soriano in 2015.

CC Sabathia reported no issues with his bullpen session Tuesday and is expected to be slotted back into the rotation for the upcoming series against the Indians — as long as he doesn’t have any issues with his surgically repaired right knee.

Ellsbury must be happy to have company in the physical therapy lounge?

Another waste
No shit! These guys have had too many injuries, I hope they are trying to figure out what the hell is causing this bullshit! The silver lining is that we have discovered some guys who can play! Some young, some old, some who just needed a tweak. Cashman and Boone really deserve credit for keeping the ship on course through all of this!
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:59 am

Yankees and Aaron Judge aren’t panicking over slugger’s slump

By Dan Martin August 15, 2019 | 1:28am

Aaron Judge noted that the Yankees keep winning despite his lack of production at the plate.

Aaron Boone called it “a tough couple of weeks.”

For now, the Yankees can get away with shrugging off Judge’s uncharacteristic struggles, but at some point, it figures to become an issue — especially now that the Triple-A Orioles are gone and have taken their 16-game losing streak against the Yankees with them.

Judge had another ugly day at the plate in Wednesday’s 6-5 win over Baltimore, going 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.

“It’s just baseball,’’ Judge said. “Sometimes hits fall and sometimes they don’t and you hit it hard right at people.”

But Judge didn’t do much of that on Wednesday. After grounding into a forceout in the first, he whiffed looking twice against Dylan Bundy and then struck out swinging with Shawn Armstrong on the mound in the seventh.

Judge is in a 12-for-76 funk with four doubles and just one home run and four RBIs in 20 games. He also has struck out 27 times in that span, along with walking 12 times.

“It stinks,’’ Judge said of his slump. “You want to help out your team any time you can. Whenever you go out there and don’t produce, it’s tough. I keep doing my job and play good defense and try to get something going at the plate. The most important thing is winning. If I go 0-for-3 and we keep winning, I think we’ll be fine.”

Against teams like the dregs of the wildly imbalanced American League, that’s true. It likely won’t be the case when they’re facing the varsity, which starts Thursday, when the Indians arrive to begin a four-game series in The Bronx.

“I’m making sure I’m swinging at the right pitches and I’ve felt I’ve been doing that,’’ Judge said. “I’m being pitched on the corners a lot, just trying to control the zone.’’

It’s not going well, but Judge has been helped by the continued production from lesser names, such as Gio Urshela and Mike Tauchman.

“I’ve just got to get on base for guys behind me, Gio and Didi [Gregorius],’’ Judge said. “Just continue to get on base.”

The Yankees, though, have more significant expectations from the right fielder than to be a table-setter.

Boone bristled when asked if Judge was “having one of those years,” when he wouldn’t find his consistency at the plate.

“It’s not one of those years,” Boone said. “It’s a tough couple of weeks. This game is hard. He’s not a good [player], he’s a great player. One of the game’s best and it’s just a couple of weeks he hasn’t been locked in.”

But during a season in which Judge has missed 54 games with a left oblique strain, his current funk seems more than just a bump in the road.

“I still contend it’s a matter of time before he gets it going,’’ Boone said. “On balance, his year has been very good. He’s grinding through it and he’ll get through.”
0 x
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am

Yankees’ return plan for Luke Voit is taking shape

By George A. King III August 14, 2019 | 7:57pm

Luke Voit walked into the Yankees’ clubhouse with a T-shirt soaked with sweat after going through agility drills, fielding ground balls outdoors and hitting indoors Wednesday morning.

“It feels a lot better this time than last time,’’ Voit said of the abdominal injury he initially suffered June 29 running the bases against the Red Sox in London.

The first baseman/DH may progress soon from batting practice and taking ground balls to a minor league rehab assignment.

“I don’t know yet. I think I am going somewhere next week,’’ Voit said.

Aaron Boone relayed that Voit told him he feels great. The manager said when the Yankees leave on a road trip Sunday, Voit will report to a minor league team to prepare for a rehab assignment.

“There is a chance when we go west he might go either Tampa, or possibly Scranton. Not to play [games] right away but to get into full workouts and hopefully if that goes well start playing some games,’’ Boone said as his club beat Baltimore, 6-5.

Based on Voit’s drop in production after returning from the IL the first time on July 13, the problem hampered him. When Voit went on the IL on July 2 he was hitting .280 with 17 homers and a .901 OPS In 16 games from July 13 to July 30, he hit .268 with two homers and a .799 OPS.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

How Luis Severino’s return to Yankees can be game-changing

By Joel Sherman August 14, 2019 | 6:40pm

Luis Severino played catch in shallow right field with catching instructor Jason Brown as pitching coach Larry Rothschild locked in on every throw.

The Yankee Stadium stands were empty and first pitch was still three hours away, but since that first pitch would be thrown to a Baltimore hitter, this was the main event Wednesday. Such is the awfulness of the Orioles and the magnitude of Severino.

Credit the Yankees for generating the majors’ best record without a pitch yet from their ace. It speaks to depth of talent and character. On Wednesday, the Yankees beat the Orioles 6-5 thanks in part to a key two-run left-on-left single by Mike Ford off Richard Bleier and superb defense from second baseman Thairo Estrada, promoted before the game.

Ford and Estrada’s 2019 relevance was supposed to be taking buses for spring training road games so the veterans could lounge back in Tampa. But in this Yankees season, the heroes have evolved and revolved up and down the roster. It has been impressive.

But the key now about spring training is that it is six weeks. And there are 7 ¹/₂ weeks left in the regular season. In other words, enough time to prep Severino not to be an opener or reliever, but a starter.

“Definitely,” Severino said when asked if he could be up to 90 pitches or more by the Division Series.

Naturally, GM Brian Cashman and Rothschild tamped down such long-range gazes when there are so many steps to go from here to there. As Cashman said, “There is a pathway, but no pathway is guaranteed.”

Especially in this Yankees season which has been replete with victories and injuries and often setbacks, including at times to Severino, whose rotator cuff strain morphed into a lat injury.

The Yankees have figured out how to win without him and Dellin Betances, creating an aura that they will find a way. Perhaps that will permeate October. But the road sure gets easier if Severino is performing at his peak, especially if the Astros or Indians eventually get in the way with their strong rotations — or the Dodgers in the World Series.

“It’s huge,” Rothschild said about getting Severino back. “He has to be right and at the top of his game and all of those things. There is no reason to think he won’t be, but again that is down the road and I am not going there.”

So I will. Absence can evoke amnesia, but Severino spent much of the past two seasons as one of the majors’ best starters. The Yankees have no one else like him. Masahiro Tanaka has postseason pedigree and Domingo German and James Paxton high-end stuff. Severino, though, is an ace in a sport that has maybe a dozen of those.

It is hard to see the Yankees having faith in J.A. Happ. He allowed two runs in five innings Wednesday, but was constantly battling base runners and a rising pitch count. His ERA is 5.40. Only Terry Mulholland (6.49 in 1994) is worse for a Yankee who qualified for an ERA title. He survived, in part Wednesday, because, well, Baltimore. The Orioles offered resistance, but not a win, falling to 2-17 against the Yankees with the season series now complete.

And it was not Happ’s pitches to Gary Sanchez that mattered most. It was Severino to Brown, who for the final 15 put on a mask, got into a squat and handled plenty of sliders. Severino has a mound session Friday, a simulated game Sunday and — if all goes well — a trip to Tampa to ramp up with another simulated game followed by a minor league start. It is imperfect because the minor league season will expire and Severino will have to build up at some point in September in the majors.

‘I’m the GM of the New York Yankees’: Arrest video shows Brian Cashman as cops confront him with guns drawn
But I am reminded that the Yankees thrived in 1996 for four months without ace David Cone, who returned Labor Day magically with seven no-hit innings. Cone won the vital World Series Game 3 in Atlanta after the Braves had taken a two-games-to-none lead in The Bronx.

The Yankees do not need Labor Day wizardry from Severino. Their big AL East cushion allows a steady progression. Rosters will expand in September to better protect Severino, perhaps with Betances and even Jordan Montgomery, who Cashman noted actually is ahead of Severino as he returns from Tommy John surgery.

The goal is to stretch Severino to 90 pitches by October, prepare a talent who can navigate a strong lineup more than two times due to overwhelming stuff. The Canyon of Heroes comes into better view if that occurs.

“This was a big step for me,” Severino said about the main event before the game. “Because I keep taking steps. I feel happy, healthy, great.”
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:05 am

Domingo German's winning ways create a question Yankees must answer

Coley Harvey ESPN Staff Write

NEW YORK -- Publicly, the New York Yankees manager is continuing to repeat a familiar refrain about his de facto ace. Perhaps it's time he starts to consider stopping.

As good as Domingo German has been, and as good as he projects to be in October, Aaron Boone says that there is no internal worry about his being worked too hard ahead of the Yankees' expected postseason run. As he has reiterated often lately, conversations team decision-makers have yet to happen regarding the pending innings limit their star 27-year-old right-hander should soon be facing.

"We haven't set any hard limits on him. We haven't gotten deep into those conversations yet," Boone said ‪Tuesday night, on the heels of another stellar German gem.

Seven weeks shy of the end of the regular season, the clock is ticking. How long will the Yankees wait before those discussions gain some depth? It shouldn't be much longer.

Maybe ... they already have? On Aug. 2, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman acknowledged on New York's WFAN radio that there was indeed already an agreed upon innings limit for his young pitcher. Asked if he cared to share what it was, Cashman declined.

So why, on the night German improved his record to an MLB-best 16-2 following a seven-inning, seven-strikeout outing in New York's 8-2 win over Baltimore, is his pending innings limit a topic worth discussing?

Namely because he appears to be the Yankees' current best option for shutting down an opposing lineup in the playoffs, and the health of his arm is a paramount concern. Not to mention, with an upcoming Yankees schedule that seems like a comparative breeze, and with the Yankees' ever-widening division lead still expanding, the day when the Yankees consider slowing down German figures to be on the horizon.

"We'll probably get to a point where, as we get some guys back, we may alter some things," Boone said. "But honestly, we feel like he's strong right now and has a lot left in the tank."

Added German, through an interpreter: "I feel really good. Really strong. I feel healthy. I feel like I can pitch for a long time. I just feel that my body's in the right shape and the right place to take on however many more innings are to come."

Including his dominant appearance against Baltimore, German has pitched 116 innings this season. He has in fact lasted six or more innings in 12 of his 20 starts. "Pitch efficiency" has been the catchphrase for the bulk of those outings, as German's tendency to take moderately low pitch counts deep into games has helped him still get deep into the later innings of his starts at this stage of the season.

Tuesday night, for example, he departed after throwing only 93 pitches, just two innings shy of a complete game. German has gone over 90 pitches in a start only eight times all season. He has topped 100 pitches just once.

"That's why he's sitting here having the year he's having," Boone said. "It starts with fastball command, and now you add the other two pitches off of that. That's why he's been so effective."

Set up by his electrifying fastball, a pitch whose velocity was back up a tick Tuesday after being noticeably down in his previous start at Toronto last week, German's breaking pitches caught Orioles hitters off balance. Of the 21 swing-and-misses he induced, 18 of them came off his curve or his changeup.

It has been that pitch-selection balance that has made him the headliner of this year's Yankees pitching staff. While German has shone brightly most of this season, the other starters have either been inconsistent or banged up.

Like seemingly everyone else on the 2019 Yankees, German has had his own injury, a hip issue in June. His worst outings came in starts he made when he tried to play through the injury. But since his return July 3, German has been unbeatable, going 7-0. The Yankees have won all eight of his starts since then.

Cashman and others have been hopeful that time on the injured list earlier this summer would help solve the innings limit concerns they weren't anticipating.

"He already had his time out. That certainly cushioned the blow," Cashman said earlier this month on WFAN. "You'll have to watch how the season played out. But that certainly allowed us to get the breather in there on the arm and the innings limitations that come with him.

"But thankfully we have him. He's really been a breath of fresh air as he's taken the next steps."

'Oh my God, how can we do this?'

An oral history of the 1994 MLB strike that nearly destroyed baseball. Tim Kurkjian »

If the Yankees found themselves in need tomorrow of a Game 1 starter in the American League Division Series, the choice seems clear -- it would be German.

"He's confident in what he has and what he can do, and it's showing up on the field," catcher Austin Romine said. "He's really getting into a groove and really trusting himself, and trusting his stuff."

At 116 innings, German is just 7⅓ innings shy of the high he set while at the Class A level in the Miami Marlins organization in 2014. It was in November of that year when he was traded to New York, and that following spring, he underwent Tommy John surgery and didn't pitch all of 2015.

Whenever the Yankees do sit down and finally have their sincere conversations about German's innings limit, what will it look like?

"Kind of an evaluation of where he is, how his body is responding, tracking how he's throwing the ball, is it matching up?" Boone said. "How his body is, how we think he's bouncing back, how we think he's holding his lean muscle mass and things like that. All those will be important factors, and then where we are from the standpoint of who we get in here, and where we are in the course of our season, as far as, does there come a time where we skip him? Does there come a time where we shorten an outing, things like that."

In terms of pitching past potential innings limits, the Yankees have done that with young starters in the recent past. In 2017, Luis Severino, the pitcher the Yankees still consider their official ace, blew well past his minor league career high of 113⅓ innings in 2014, throwing 193⅓ innings in his breakout big league season. Severino added 16 innings in the postseason that year.

If that's a guide, maybe the Yankees won't be slowing down German at all. But then again, with the rehabbing Severino able to rejoin the rotation possibly by September, then there will be opportunities for the current ace to be given some relief by his predecessor.

"We'll probably get to a point where, as we get some guys back we may alter some things," Boone said.

It will help making those alterations with Severino's return, but even before then, the conversations about easing German's workload the rest of the way must be had in earnest.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 am

Four Yankees draft picks who are impressing in their pro debuts

These players haven’t had much trouble adjusting to the professional ranks

By Aaron Esposito Aug 15, 2019, 10:00am EDT

Every MLB draft pick wants to make a good impression right out of the gate with their new team. In reality, however, there’s often an adjustment period for players getting their first taste of professional baseball. That said, many of the Yankees/ top draft picks have had no such trouble. Here are a handful of 2019 draftees who have made a splash in their first month as members of the Yankees’ organization.

T.J. Sikkema
The Yankees selected Sikkema, a big left-handed pitcher out of Missouri, with the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft. After dominating the SEC in his junior season, Sikkema is making quick work of his opponents in the New York-Penn League. In his first 10.2 innings of play, Sikkema has surrendered just one run on six hits and registered 13 strikeouts. A 13.0 K/BB ratio isn’t sustainable, but that level of dominance is a welcome sight for the Yankees, who put a lot of faith in the lefty by selecting him in the competitive balance round.

Josh Smith
The Yankees’ second-round pick, infielder Josh Smith, was expected to perform well right off the bat as a 22-year-old with three years of SEC competition under his belt. The club started him out at Low-A Staten Island, and he hasn’t disappointed. The young shortstop is slashing .407/.521/.593 in his first 12 games with a minuscule 5.6% strikeout rate. He’s displayed patience, power, and elite contact skills in the early going, offering hope that he could have a future similar to another former LSU Tiger, DJ LeMahieu. The Yankees clearly placed an emphasis on middle infield depth early in the draft, and if Smith’s performance thus far is any indication, he could move quickly through the Yankees’ system.

Ken Waldichuk
Waldichuk was the third left-hander selected by the Yankees in the first five rounds of the MLB Draft. At six-foot-four and 220 pounds, the St. Mary’s product has thrown 23.1 innings in the Appalachian League, and the results have been impressive. Waldichuk owns a highly respectable 3.47 ERA in eight starts, but it’s his strikeout totals that jump off the page. Waldichuk has punched out 41 batters and walked four in 23.1 innings, good for a 15.8 K/9 and a 10.25 K/BB rate. In his August 3rd start, the left-hander struck out nine batters in four innings, his longest outing of the season. If Waldichuk can continue to build off his early success, the Yankees might have found a steal in the fifth round.

Spencer Hansen
Back when the Yankees drafted Hansen, I suggested that the Yankees could potentially see a little bit of Luke Voit in his profile. He’s shown flashes of that kind of power in the early going, with six home runs in his first 24 professional games. The 18-year-old has posted a solid .256/.378/.573 line in 82 at-bats between Pulaski and Staten Island, and has been the best offensive performer among Yankees draft picks not named Josh Smith.

It’s a long and winding road to the big leagues, but these four 2019 draft picks have started off on the right path.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:46 am

MLB rumors: Yankees sign David Hernandez | What you need to know

Updated 9:52 AM; Today 9:41 AM

Former Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher David Hernandez signed a minor-league contract with the New York Yankees.

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to find pitching depth for the organization.

The #Yankees have signed RHP David Hernandez to a minor league deal and sent him to Triple-A.

Andersen Pickard@andersenreports
The #Yankees have signed RHP David Hernandez to a minor league deal and sent him to Triple-A.

The Yankees have churned through pitchers this season, tapping Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre time and again to help the team deal with injuries to the starting rotation and bullpen.

With the July 31 trade deadline in the rearview mirror, tapping the minors for players like Hernandez is one of the few remaining options for Cashman to add an arm this late in the season.

Signing Hernandez comes hours after Cashman claimed right-hander Ryan Dull off waivers from the San Francisco Giants.

To make room for Dull on their 40-man roster, the Yankees designated right-hander Brady Lail for assignment.

Here’s what you need to know about Hernandez:

He is a 10-year MLB veteran, playing for the Philadelphia Phillies, Arizona Diamondbacks, Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Angels and Cincinnati Reds.

Hernandez is 38-47 with a 4.12 ERA in 547 career appearances.

The Reds released Hernandez on Sunday, after he compiled an unsightly 8.02 ERA in 47 games this season.

Hernandez made his MLB debut in 2009 with the Orioles, coming up through the Baltimore organization as a starter before moving to the bullpen in 2010.

Hernandez appeared in the playoffs in 2011 and 2017 with the Diamondbacks, making a total of six appearances and compiling a respectable 2.70 ERA.

Hernandez was born in Sacramento, Calif. and attended Cosumnes River College (also in Sacramento).
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:48 am

MLB rumors: Good news on Astros’ Gerrit Cole is not good for the Yankees

Updated 11:44 AM; Today 11:32 AM

Houston Astros pitcher Gerrit Cole skipped Tuesday's start with a sore hamstring.

The Houston Astros are breathing a sigh of relief Thursday after getting an update on injured right-hander Gerrit Cole, per The Athletic’s Jim Bowden.

A.J. Hinch #Astros just told me that Gerrit Cole should be good to go next week. Good news for #Astros fans. #CyYoungCandidate

Cole had skipped his start on Tuesday against the Chicago White Sox with a sore right hamstring.

Cole felt the discomfort while warming up in the bullpen about 15 minutes prior to the start, per the Houston Chronicle. It is the first known injury of Cole’s tenure with the Astros.

When healthy, Cole is part of a three-headed monster in the Astros’ rotation with Justin Verlander and Zack Greinke.

Assuming no further setbacks, Cole and the Astros appear destined for an American League Championship Series clash with the New York Yankees.

The two clubs are fighting for the best record in the American League and home-field advantage in the ALCS.

The Yankees are tied with the Los Angeles Dodgers for the best record in baseball at 81-41. The Astros (78-43) are 2.5 games back.

Cole, who will be a free agent after the season, is one of the best pitchers in the majors. He’s tied for third in the American League with 14 wins and is second in the AL with a 2.87 ERA. He leads the majors with 226 strikeouts this season.

The Yankees and Astros will not face each other in the six weeks of the regular season. The teams split the season series, 3-3, after playing six times.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:51 am

Captain Crunch: Ex-Yankee Derek Jeter ready to dump Marlins’ Don Mattingly?

Updated 8:57 AM; Today 8:18 AM

Miami Marlins CEO Derek Jeter, left, might be ready to let go of manager Don Mattingly.

Call it captain-on-captain crime.

Former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter could be ready to part ways with former Yankees captain Don Mattingly, who’s completing his fourth season as Miami Marlins manager.

MLB.com reports Jeter, the Marlins’ CEO, talked to the media Wednesday about Mattingly’s status and realizes a big decision is coming.

“To be fair to Donnie, it’s something that we need to talk about sooner rather than later,” Jeter said. “We have touched base, and we’ll continue to talk.”

Winding down on his four-year contract, Mattingly made it clear he would like to stay. But, he added, only if he’s wanted. “I’d love to be back, especially if they want you back,” Mattingly said. “You don’t want to be anywhere that you don’t feel like it’s the best situation. You don’t want to get in the way of anything. If they think they want to go in [another] direction, then that’s something you just deal with at the time.”

The Marlins are heading toward their fourth straight losing season under Mattingly. Miami owns the worst record in the National League at 44-75.

But some (or most) of the responsibility for Miami’s struggles fall on Jeter, who’s traded away the teams stars, including Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich and JT Realmuto in the last two years. And according to MLB.com, Jeter realizes he hasn’t made it easy on Mattingly.

“Sometimes you have to take into consideration, when an organization, when a team is at this point, I think it’s very easy for the fans, it’s very easy for media to look at wins and losses, and that’s how they evaluate the job that someone is doing,” Jeter said. “There’s a lot of things that go into it. Donnie has done a good job. But then again, we’ve got to sit down, like we do with coaches every year as well, and ask, ‘How can we get better?’”

Mattingly, who spent five seasons as the Los Angeles Dodgers’ manager (winning three division titles) before heading to South Florida, knows how this might play out in Miami. Per MLB.com:

“I’ve talked about it from the very beginning,” Mattingly said. “I’m comfortable with whatever happens and whatever way it goes. I’ve said all along, this is a place I’ve come to hopefully help turn this thing around and getting it going in the right direction.”
0 x

Faxedreceipts66

Postby Faxedreceipts66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 pm

BigGuy wrote:Captain Crunch: Ex-Yankee Derek Jeter ready to dump Marlins’ Don Mattingly?

Updated 8:57 AM; Today 8:18 AM

Miami Marlins CEO Derek Jeter, left, might be ready to let go of manager Don Mattingly.

Call it captain-on-captain crime.

Former New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter could be ready to part ways with former Yankees captain Don Mattingly, who’s completing his fourth season as Miami Marlins manager.

MLB.com reports Jeter, the Marlins’ CEO, talked to the media Wednesday about Mattingly’s status and realizes a big decision is coming.

“To be fair to Donnie, it’s something that we need to talk about sooner rather than later,” Jeter said. “We have touched base, and we’ll continue to talk.”

Winding down on his four-year contract, Mattingly made it clear he would like to stay. But, he added, only if he’s wanted. “I’d love to be back, especially if they want you back,” Mattingly said. “You don’t want to be anywhere that you don’t feel like it’s the best situation. You don’t want to get in the way of anything. If they think they want to go in [another] direction, then that’s something you just deal with at the time.”

The Marlins are heading toward their fourth straight losing season under Mattingly. Miami owns the worst record in the National League at 44-75.

But some (or most) of the responsibility for Miami’s struggles fall on Jeter, who’s traded away the teams stars, including Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich and JT Realmuto in the last two years. And according to MLB.com, Jeter realizes he hasn’t made it easy on Mattingly.

“Sometimes you have to take into consideration, when an organization, when a team is at this point, I think it’s very easy for the fans, it’s very easy for media to look at wins and losses, and that’s how they evaluate the job that someone is doing,” Jeter said. “There’s a lot of things that go into it. Donnie has done a good job. But then again, we’ve got to sit down, like we do with coaches every year as well, and ask, ‘How can we get better?’”

Mattingly, who spent five seasons as the Los Angeles Dodgers’ manager (winning three division titles) before heading to South Florida, knows how this might play out in Miami. Per MLB.com:

“I’ve talked about it from the very beginning,” Mattingly said. “I’m comfortable with whatever happens and whatever way it goes. I’ve said all along, this is a place I’ve come to hopefully help turn this thing around and getting it going in the right direction.”

Jeter is a total d-bag, as per his brief executive career highlights in so many ways. It's a shame that he is going to put on a NYY front next summer at Cooperstown. Odds are that he is going to fail in Florida. So what does that mean? He has alienated a lot of NYY fans, like me, that depise that he has to make a name for himself out of the NYY organization. No such thing as loyalty and working within the NYY system. When he fails, which he will, hopefully he stays out of the Bronx. We know what a phony he is.
0 x

Return to “Yankees”