YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

BigGuy

Re: YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

Postby BigGuy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:59 pm

How Yankees’ Cameron Maybin is healing way faster than expected from leg injury
Today 12:27 PM

Yankees outfielder Cameron Maybin is hitting .314 with five homers and 14 RBI in 42 games. (David Dermer | AP)

By Randy Miller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEW YORK — Yankees outfielder Cameron Maybin was out in the Yankee Stadium outfield Saturday morning giving his left calf strain a good test.

Just 22 days after Maybin suffered an injury that supposedly would take at least six weeks to heal, he was running full speed outdoors for the first time since getting hurt And Maybin felt so good do so that he wants to begin a rehab assignment next week.

“I’m faster (right now) than everybody here except for Gardy,” Maybin said with a smile before the Yankees-Blue Jays game.

As for not matching veteran outfielder Brett Gardner’s speed for the time being, Maybin added, “Oh, I’m faster than Gardy when I’m healthy! Right now I’m 98 percent. I need to be 100 percent to beat Gardy!”

The Yanks still want to be cautious, but they’d love to get Maybin back for outfield depth while slugger Giancarlo Stanton continues rehabbing from a right knee strain that could sideline him until August.

“This week we'll start ramping up the baseball activities,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “Obviously this a big step for him, getting outside and doing some form running and stuff.

"For being a fairly significant strain, the few days after (his injury) I remember talking to him and he was like, 'I’m feeling pretty good. I heal up well.’ He’s doing well and we’ll see how this week starts to unfold, then we’ll get a game plan about when he can get back in a game.”

Maybin, 32, has been a major contributor this season for the Yankees, who purchased him from the Cleveland Indians on April 25.

Filling in a lot due to the Yankees outfield being decimated by injuries, Maybin has hit .314 with five homers, 14 RBI and an .891 OPS in 42 games, 34 as a starter. He was very hot when leaving the Yankees’ June 21 game against the Houston Astros with a calf injury, as he hit .478 (11-for-23) with four homers and six RBI over his last seven contests.

When and if the Yanks get fully healthy, there may not be a 25-man roster spot for Maybin though unless the club opts to go with just 12 pitchers instead of the 13 that they’ve been carrying for much of the year.

But until Stanton returns, Maybin’s job security is safe. Feeling healthy again, he can’t wait to return

“I’m ready to get at it” Maybin said.
0 x
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Yankees lose 2-1 to Blue Jays after Yankee Stadium sound system gives up on them prematurely

Updated 4:50 PM; Today 4:48 PM

Yankees left-hander J.A. Happ delivers a pitch to the Toronto Blue Jays during his start Saturday afternoon at Yankee Stadium. (Frank Franklin II | AP)

By Randy Miller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEW YORK — Whomever runs the music at Yankee Stadium cued up “New York, New York” a couple minutes too soon Saturday afternoon at Yankee Stadium.

Someone mistakingly thought the Yankees had lost the matinee to the Toronto Blue Jays when in reality DJ LeMahieu had just singled to center field to put two on with two out in the ninth inning of a two-run game.

The Yankees weren’t done yet.

After the Sinatra music quickly ended following a few bars, Aaron Judge laced a single to made it a one-run game and extend the Yankees’ streak of not being shut out to 172 games.

The crowd was alive … and then Luke Voit, just off the injured list, struck out with the tying and winning runs on base, the Blue Jays had themselves a 2-1 victory and Sinatra started blaring again, this time from start to finish.

The Yanks were shut out until the ninth by six Blue Jays pitchers.

Starter Clayton Richard worked two shutout innings, then departed the game due to left lat tightness. From there, five Blue Jays relievers kept the Yanks off the board until Daniel Hudson ran into ninth-inning trouble before picking up his second save.

“It’s always surprising when you get held down like that,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “We had our opportunities.”

The Yankees came very close to taking a 2-0 lead in the fifth inning when Blue Jays center fielder Randal Grichuk kept the game scoreless by making a diving catch to rob Gary Sanchez on a bases-loaded, two-out liner to right-center.

The next inning, Grichuk went from saving two runs to putting the first two on the board by dropping a two-out, sixth-inning hit off Yankees reliever Adam Ottavino, who failed to escape a jam created by lefty starter J.A. Happ.

Happ (7-5) shut out Toronto on three hits through five, but ran into trouble in the sixth when Lourdes Gurriel Jr., grounded a one-out single to right and Cavan Biggio followed with a bloop hit to very shallow left that dropped between left fielder Brett Gardner and shortstop Didi Gregorius.

With one down and runners on first and second, Ottavino spelled Happ, and the righty began his outing by getting a called strike three on Vladimir Guerrero Jr. for the second out. But from there, the Blue Jays executed a double steal to put two runners in scoring position, then Grichuk singled on the next pitch to make it a 2-0 game.

Prior to Grichuk’s game-changing grab, the Yanks missed a couple other chances to score first.

With two on and two out in the first inning, Edwin Encarnacion grounded out to third. They had the same threat in the third inning when Sanchez lined out to third base after Aaron Judge singled with two outs and Voit followed with a walk.

NOTABLE

-- Judge was 4-for-5 with four singles to raise his average from .273 to .294.

-- Voit was activated from the injured list and was 0-for-2 with two walks in his first game since being sidelined for eight due to an abdominal strain.

-- Sanchez was 0-for-3 with a hit by pitch. He’s now hitting .118 over his last 13 games with 19 strikeouts in 52 at-bats, a slump that’s sunk his season average from .273 to .243.

-- Gardner stayed hot by going 2-for-4 with two singles hitting out of the No. 9 hole. He’s 10-for-19 at the plate over his last five games, raising average average from .234 to .253.

-- Encarnacion finished the game after being drilled on the left hand on a 96-mph, eighth-inning fastball from Blue Jays reliever Daniel Hudson.

--The Yankees have been held without a homer in consecutive games for the third time this season.

LOOKING AHEAD

Sunday: Toronto Blue Jays at Yankees, 1:05 p.m., YES. RHP Marcus Stroman (5-9, 3.18) vs. RHP Masahiro Tanaka (5-5, 3.86)

Monday: Tampa Bay Rays at Yankees, 7:05 p.m., YES. TBA vs. LHP James Paxton (5-4, 4.01).

Tuesday: Tampa Bay Rays at Yankees, 7:05 p.m., YES. TBA vs. LHP CC Sabathia (5-4, 4.03).

Wednesday: Tampa Bay Rays at Yankees, 7:05 p.m., YES. TBA vs. RHP Domingo German (11-2, 3.40).

Thursday: Tampa Bay Rays at Yankees, 7:05 p.m., YES. TBA vs. LHP J.A. Happ (7-5, 4.93).
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Yankees Highlights: Bombers avoid shutout, lose anyway

This was annoying.

By Tyler Norton Jul 13, 2019, 4:44pm EDT

Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports

Over eight innings and two outs, it looked like the Yankees would lose on a shutout for the first time since June 30, 2018. The bats couldn’t get it going against the Blue Jays for most of the afternoon, but then the ninth-inning fight came. Unfortunately it wasn’t a strong enough dose to take the win.

We’ll have a full recap up shortly, but in the meantime, here are the highlights.

Winner of the Game
J.A. Happ had one of his better starts of the season on Saturday afternoon. The left-hander allowed two runs over 5.1 innings, while striking out five and walking one. They were cheap, BABIP-fueled runs, however, so it’s tough to blame Happ for that. This was exactly the kind of start the Yankees expected from the left-hander when they signed him to his free agent deal. If Happ pitches like this down the stretch, it will be tough to be disappointed in him.

Loser of the Game
The Yankees had a ton of bad luck going against them in the sixth inning. With one on and one out, Cavan Biggio hit a bloop single to no-man’s land in left field, driving Happ from the game. Then, with two outs, Randal Grichuk hit a bloop single to right field. This one came off Adam Ottavino and scored two runs for the Jays.

I also would be remiss to mention that home plate umpires routinely screw Aaron Judge.

Credit: Baseball Savant

Andy Fletcher was responsible for this afternoon’s egregious missed call.
0 x

hampfan

Postby hampfan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:33 pm

BigGuy wrote:Brett Gardner thriving in unexpected bigger role for Yankees

On Friday, he started a four-run rally that put the Yankees ahead in the bottom of the fifth with a triple down the right-field line to lead off the inning. Gardner scored on DJ LeMahieu’s groundout for the game’s first run before the Yankees tacked on three more off Toronto right-hander Aaron Sanchez.

An inning later, Gardner had a one-out double when he hit a grounder past a shifted Vladimir Guerrero Jr. at third. With the outfielders playing deep, Gardner made it to second easily. His speed played a factor again later in the inning when Toronto catcher Danny Jansen tried to throw behind Gardner to pick him off at second, but his throw went into center, allowing Gardner to get to third. Gardner was stranded there when Aaron Judge struck out to end the inning.

And when it seemed the Blue Jays might have a chance to get back in the game in the seventh, as Tommy Kahnle came in and gave up consecutive singles to Cavan Biggio and Guerrero, Gardner made a strong throw from left to get Guerrero at second for the first out of the inning.

“He’d been swinging the bat really well going into the [All-Star] break and to go right out and have a night like he did was great,’’ Aaron Boone said.

Okay, davis, you and other Gardner supporters (Newinn over on the other site, for one) win. Your guy's doing great, even in today's loss. I was wrong to rag on him. I think he's doing as good as Harper would've. I hope Gardner continues the up-swing and/or his hot streak. I think he benefits from hitting down in the line-up. Right now, he's unstoppable and is proving Cashman prescient in re-signing him. I expect that will happen again next year, too.
0 x

davis2

Postby davis2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:02 pm

1955Yanksfan wrote:Judge seems like a likeable kid, not sure why mlb umpires feel they need to screw him so often on bad strike calls. It's getting really old.
I am getting tired of it. Tired of fucking favoritism!
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:02 am

Yankees’ bats handcuffed by lowly Blue Jays in odd one

By George A. King III July 13, 2019 | 4:56pm | Updated

After a wonderful Saturday afternoon full of sunshine and perfect baseball weather in which the Yankees’ fearsome lineup missed scoring chances against a river of mediocre pitchers from The North, the ninth inning provided the biggest chance for the hosts to delete three hours of frustration in which they didn’t score.

Daniel Hudson, the sixth Blue Jays pitcher, walked Aaron Hicks to start the ninth while nursing a two-run lead. Gleyber Torres and Brett Gardner flied out in front of DJ LeMahieu’s single to center that moved Hicks to second. Aaron Judge’s fourth hit of the game, a single off third baseman Brandon Drury’s glove, scored Hicks, put LeMahieu at third and brought Luke Voit to the plate.

In his first game back from the injured list, Voit looked at full-count pitch that ended a frustrating 2-1 loss that was witnessed by 43,472 Yankee Stadium customers who had very little to get excited about other than the Yankees avoided being blanked for the first time this season.

“They used their whole bullpen and we were never able to get the big hit,’’ Judge said. “They kept us off balance and we weren’t able to get that big hit with guys on base.’’

Judge, who went 4-for-5 (all singles) and was called out on a questionable 3-2 pitch to end the seventh with Gardner (2-for-4) on base, was encouraged by the Blue Jays using five relievers.

“I am looking forward to [Sunday]. Their whole bullpen was basically used,’’ Judge said of the Blue Jays, who will start Marcus Stroman — perhaps a future teammate of Judge’s — on Sunday.

The Yankees’ fourth loss in eight games since returning from two wins over the Red Sox in London didn’t initially cost them ground in the AL East. The second-place Rays dropped a 2-1 decision to the awful Orioles in the early game of a doubleheader and remained 6 ½ lengths back.

J.A. Happ (7-5) blanked the light-hitting Blue Jays (last in AL with a .232 average entering Saturday’s action) through five innings, but was hurt in the sixth when Lourdes Gurriel Jr. singled with one out and the left-handed hitting Cavan Biggio blooped a shift-beating single to left. Adam Ottavino surfaced from the pen to strike out Vladimir Guerrero Jr. looking, but couldn’t do anything about Randal Grichuk dropping a bloop single into right-center that scored two runs.

“I have been fortunate to get some big outs, today wasn’t that day,’’ Ottavino said.

Nor was it a day for the Yankees to hit in the clutch, something that hasn’t happened in the past four games. Edwin Encarnacion grounded out to end the first against Clayton Richard with two on. Gary Sanchez lined out to finish the fifth with two on and watched Grichuk make a head-first diving catch of a sinking liner to end the fifth. The frustration mounted in the seventh when Judge faced former Yankee David Phelps with two outs and Gardner on first. Phelps went 3-2 and slipped a called strike past Judge he disagreed with.

“I was upset because that could be the ballgame,’’ said Judge, who had some words but nothing dramatic with plate umpire Andy Fletcher. “A walk right there and Voit comes up and it is a three-run homer. Situations like that, it’s tough. I voiced my opinion, but I can’t get tossed in that situation because I knew I would come back up in the ninth.’’

Judge said he felt some All-Star break rust, but in the past 12 games he is hitting .372 (16-for-43) with four homers and nine RBIs.

Yet, four singles and one RBI wasn’t enough Saturday to get by the hapless Blue Jays.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am

J.A. Happ’s ‘conviction’ could be just what Yankees need

By Larry Brooks July 13, 2019 | 8:04pm

There hasn’t been this much talk around the Yankees about being convicted since Billy Martin piped up at O’Hare Airport 41 years ago this month.

But there, in an entirely different context, was J.A. Happ throwing around that “C” word at Yankee Stadium on Saturday following his and his team’s 2-1 defeat to the Blue Jays. No one is going to be forced to resign this time as a result.

“I’m trying to keep my conviction on every pitch,” Happ said. “Some games I had conviction on some pitches, but not on every one. I have to stay convicted.

“I would say this was one of my best games this year regarding execution and conviction.”

Yikes, and pardon me, but the 36-year-old lefty’s, uh, conviction in tossing a solid 5¹/₃ innings against Toronto is anything but a pitching death sentence. Rather, it augers well for his chance of being in a postseason rotation who at this moment could be named Masahiro Tanaka and the Mysterians.

You’ve heard, of course, of the PTBNL — Player to be Named Later — in trades. The Yankees are looking at a playoff rotation of PTBNL — Pitcher(s) to be Named Later. Or even, PTBAL — Pitcher(s) to be Acquired Later. Last year, Happ was a pre-deadline acquisition and in fact started Game 1 against the Red Sox in the divisional round. This year, Happ is trying to maintain a hold on his spot while general manager Brian Cashman makes goo-goo eyes at potential replacements across the continent.

“It was exciting to see,” Manager Aaron Boone said of Happ’s second consecutive impressive performance after weeks wandering in wasteland. “He’s really starting to build momentum.”

Happ, who entered with a 5.02 ERA, the 10th-highest OPS against and the ninth-highest slugging average against among qualified starters, was in command throughout, limiting the Jays to five hits while inducing multiple weak, defensive swings in striking out five and walking just one. He was in command in the sixth inning, too, allowing two well-placed singles that found holes in the shift before he was replaced by Adam Ottavino.

The starting pitcher, off a July 4 no-decision at Tampa Bay in which he allowed one run on three hits in 5¹/₃ innings, did not go quickly into the late afternoon when Boone came to get him. Indeed, Happ attempted to plead his case. Convicted! Well, removed from the game with runners at first and second.

“I was hoping we could have a conversation before he made his decision,” Happ said. “But Otto a lot more often that not, finds his way out [of trouble].”

This time, Ottavino could not, allowing a two-out dunk single in front of right fielder Aaron Judge that enabled both runners to come in following a double steal. That, shockingly, was the ballgame, the Yankees blanked until two were down in the ninth inning.

“We’ll take our chances,” Happ said about the prospects of winning games while allowing a sum of two runs.

Boone, too, will take his chances long-term with a pitcher determined to remain on the mound even if the manager has decided otherwise. He valued Happ’s effort to appeal.

“He wanted to stay in, which is what I love about Jay, especially when he’s throwing the ball well,” Boone said. “He wanted to finish it off, and I always appreciate my guys that do that but I just felt like that inning was going to be the end for him, anyway and we had it set up for Otto with two righties.

“It just didn’t work out, but that’s just the competitor [in Happ] wanting to stay out there.”

The Yankees were held homerless for the second consecutive game. It is only the third time they’ve gone into that deep of a drought and the first time since going three straight from May 8-10. They’re 58-32 overall and maintained a 6 ¹/₂- game bulge on the second-place Rays (eight on the loss side) pending their nightcap of a doubleheader, but the Yankees are just 5-9 when they fail to go yard and, perhaps more disturbingly, 0-14 when scoring two or fewer runs.

Even in this Juiced Bar of a season, teams do have to sprinkle a couple of 2-1 or 2-0 victories in there, correct? But more to the moment, the vulnerable rotation produced a good one Saturday. Happ talked about how his troubles this season caused him to “try and place the ball instead of throwing it with conviction.”

Forty-one years later, that word is big around the Yankees, again.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:07 am

Other factor Yankees better consider at MLB trade deadline

By Ken Davidoff July 13, 2019 | 2:13pm | Updated

As the Yankees explore the trade market for bullpen arms, they should consider not only whether a target can help them for 2019, but also for 2020 and beyond, depending on his contract/service time status. Because the Yankees could lose as many as two significant bullpen pieces this offseason.

Dellin Betances’ walk year has been a disaster so far, the gigantic right-hander spending the entire season on the injured list with right shoulder and lat injuries.

On the other side of the spectrum, Aroldis Chapman — who returned to the Yankees from the Cubs after the 2016 season, signing a five-year, $86-million contract — remains among the game’s elite closers, having just picked up the save for the AL in the All-Star Game. Consequently you wonder whether he’ll opt out, as he can, of the two years and $34.4 million he’ll have remaining on his deal after this season.

“Honestly, I haven’t been thinking about that at all,” Chapman said during the All-Star festivities, through an interpreter, “because through these years, I’ve dealt with some injuries. So the concentration and the focus was to stay healthy this year and try to have a good season. It hasn’t even crossed my mind.”

It should eventually. In his age-31 season, Chapman has stayed healthy and increased his strikeouts-to-walks ratio from the past couple of seasons. As long as that continues, it seems reasonable to think he can beat what he has left as long as he doesn’t overreach, like Craig Kimbrel did last winter.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:14 am

Marcus Stroman will get his shot to show off at Yankee Stadium

By KRISTIE ACKERT| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |

Marcus Stroman said everything he could last month to make it clear that he’d be overjoyed if the Yankees traded for him before this month’s deadline. Sunday, the Blue Jay righthander gets a chance to show why they should.

“I am built for this. I mean anybody can say whatever, but I am built for the big lights and the moment. I am not scared of it. I have never been,” Stroman said when the Blue Jays were in the Bronx last month. “ I’ll take that ball each and every time with the pressure on. I love it.”

The Blue Jays will send their ace to the mound in the final game of the three-game series at the Stadium. The Yankees, who are openly looking to add pitching before the deadline, will obviously be watching closely, particularly after he missed his last start with a pectoral muscle issue.

The Yankees have been scouting Stroman’s starts this season and the Blue Jays, who are years away from competing, have made it clear that he’s available. With one more arbitration year before he hits free agency, Stroman is more than a rental.

One scout who was trailing Stroman at the end of the first half said that he sees a good fit with the Yankees.

“He pitches with a chip on his shoulder, put him on the mound here, in a big moment and he will rise to it,” the talent evaluator said. “He won’t shrink on the big stage, he loves the bright lights, he likes being the guy in those moments.”

One Blue Jays source agreed that the Long Island native would thrive in pinstripes. He said Stroman is “a tough competitor,” who is also “a really good teammate,” He agreed Stroman would “be really good here.”

Yankees manager Aaron Boone was not going to be drawn into the speculation, but respects Stroman as a tough opponent.

“Obviously, (he’s) really athletic on the mound. That lends itself to his pitching. He fields his position incredibly well,” Boone said. “He can really sink the ball. He’s a guy that generates — when he’s on top of his game — weak contact. He puts the ball on the ground and can make the ball move a lot of ways. Obviously he’s having a really good year for them this year.”

Stroman has pitched to a 3.18 ERA, striking out 81 over 140.2 innings pitched. In a day and age when the ball is flying out of ballparks across the league, he has done a good job of keeping that down, allowing 10 homers over 18 starts.

MAYBIN SOON?

If you ask Cameron Maybin, he will tell you he’s more than ready to come back. The Yankees, however, are being cautious with the 32-year old outfielder, who has been on the injured list with a strained left calf since June 23.

“I feel pretty close. I’m just trying to continue to communicate with the training staff and trying to be patient. That’s very different. I’ve seen a lot of guys in [the trainer’s room] this year, so I understand where they are as far being cautious,” Maybin said. “ I’m trying to trust this, but I feel pretty good.”

Maybin ran outside for the first time before Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays at the Stadium. The next step would be for him to try to run the bases and then begin planning minor league rehab games, possibly next week.

“We'll see how this weekend and now this week starts to unfold,” Boone said. “Then we'll get a game plan about when he can get back in a game. It's gone pretty well, I think.”

[More Yankees] Domingo German dominates as Yankees blank Blue Jays as Cashman preps to find more pitching »
The backup outfielder’s presence in the clubhouse was immediately noticeable, joking around with Brett Gardner.

“Oh, I’m faster than Gardy when I’m healthy,” Maybin said with Gardner nearby. “ Right now I’m at 98 percent. I need to be 100 percent to beat Gardy.”

With slugger Giancarlo Stanton on the IL again, the Yankees miss Maybin’s versatility in the outfield, along with his bat. Maybin was hitting .314/.391/.500 with 14 RBI in 42 games when he went down.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 am

Red Sox trade for Andrew Cashner to strike first in AL arms race

By Joseph Staszewski July 13, 2019 | 6:07pm | Updated

Andrew Cashner AP

Your move, Brian Cashman.

The Red Sox struck first in the AL East arms race by acquiring starting pitcher Andrew Cashner and cash consideration from the Orioles on Saturday. Boston is sending Baltimore minor league infielder Noelberth Romero and outfield prospect Elio Prado, both of whom are in rookie ball.

It is the first major trade-deadline move by one of the AL East contenders. Cashner is 9-3 with a 3.83 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP this season with the last-place Orioles. He joins a defending World Series champion Red Sox team that sits 8 ½ games behind the Yankees in the AL East and just one game out of the second wild-card spot. Adding Cashner, who is a free agent after the season, should allow the Red Sox to move Nathan Eovaldi to the closer role when he returns from the IL to bolster their bullpen.

The Yankees are also in search of pitching help and have recently been linked to Diamondbacks starter Robbie Ray as an option if they can’t acquire top-tier arms such as Madison Bumgarner and Trevor Bauer.

Cashner is 2-5 against the Yankees with a 3.96 ERA in 10 career starts.

Baltimore agreed to send Boston $1,777,839 to cover all but $1,577,000 of the $3,354,839 Cashner is due from his $8 million salary this year. Baltimore also agreed to make contingent payments on some of Cashner’s performance bonuses if he should achieve them.
0 x

Return to “Yankees”