In Loving Memory of BigGuy

Zoo Keeper
Site Admin

In Loving Memory of BigGuy

Postby Zoo Keeper » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 pm

As many of you know, BigGuy was the main aggregator of Yankees News here at the Bronx Zoo.

This will replace the original Prayer Thread, which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1170

Like all of you, we met over a decade ago on the YesNetwork forums.

Here is his obituary.

Jonathon J Plesce
November 19, 2019

Jonathon Joseph Plesce, 68, passed away peacefully Tuesday, surrounded by family, after a courageous battle with cancer.

Born in Hazleton on Jan. 14, 1951, Jonathon was the son of the late John Plesce and Catherine Deeb Plesce.

Jon is survived by his loving wife of 46 years, Linda Savoy Plesce; his two daughters, Angela Grace Avillion and husband, Paul; and Christina Marie Gavio and husband, Dr. Daniel Gavio; and two grandchildren, whom he adored, Paul Jonathon and Joseph Avillion.

Jon enjoyed spending time with his family and grandsons at the beach, especially sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico.

He is also survived by three sisters, Sharon Halko and husband, Frank; Kathryn Cullari and husband, Dr. Salvatore Cullari; and Geraldine McElroy and husband, Michael. In addition, he will be lovingly remembered by several nieces and nephews.

Prior to retirement, Jon was employed by Hazleton General Hospital for 35 years.

He was a talented musician and played the guitar in several local bands throughout the years including, The Canterbury Tales, Ognir and the Night People and, most recently, Monterey. He was known for his love of sports and was an avid New York Yankees and Giants fan.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at Holy Rosary Church, Hazleton, on Saturday at 10 a.m. Friends may call Saturday from 9 to 10 a.m. at the church.

SERVICES
Mass of Christian Burial
Saturday, November 23, 2019
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Holy Rosary R.C. Church
S. Poplar St.
Hazleton, PA 18201
0 x

T15D23

Re: In Loving Memory of BigGuy

Postby T15D23 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:29 pm

If anyone can please post the above to the YESNetwork board, would be great as Chas canceled my account when we started this board.

Keep him in your prayers as well as his family.

Thanks.
0 x
-------------------------
T15D23

- 11/25/03 GBMA

- 6/11/04 GBCJ

- 6/9/07 God Bless Leo

- 10/16/07 God Bless Huck

- 11/12/11 God Bless Mom

- 09/24/14 God Bless Dad

Faxedreceipts66

Postby Faxedreceipts66 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:44 pm

T15D23 wrote:If anyone can please post the above to the YESNetwork board, would be great as Chas canceled my account when we started this board.

Thanks.

I'm so sad that Big Guy passed away. A great man was taken way before his time. May he rest in peace in God's glory.
0 x

davis2

Postby davis2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm

T15D23 wrote:If anyone can please post the above to the YESNetwork board, would be great as Chas canceled my account when we started this board.

Thanks.
northernclipper posted it. I tried to copy and paste, but my computer isn't cooperating
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

davis2

Postby davis2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 pm

My daughter fixed the problem and the obit is posted at YES. Thanks for telling us,T! I wish we knew sooner, I would have driven thee 4 hours to pay my respects. I respected the man enough for that and never met him!
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

T15D23

Postby T15D23 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:24 pm

davis2 wrote:My daughter fixed the problem and the obit is posted at YES. Thanks for telling us,T! I wish we knew sooner, I would have driven thee 4 hours to pay my respects. I respected the man enough for that and never met him!

Just found it tonight and notified all as soon as I knew.
0 x
T15D23

- 11/25/03 GBMA

- 6/11/04 GBCJ

- 6/9/07 God Bless Leo

- 10/16/07 God Bless Huck

- 11/12/11 God Bless Mom

- 09/24/14 God Bless Dad

davis2

Postby davis2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:29 pm

T15D23 wrote:
davis2 wrote:My daughter fixed the problem and the obit is posted at YES. Thanks for telling us,T! I wish we knew sooner, I would have driven thee 4 hours to pay my respects. I respected the man enough for that and never met him!

Just found it tonight and notified all as soon as I knew.
I know. It's sad friggin news. I posted at another site where Craner, Jimmy and Dinsy frequent... Mo visits us there too.
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

qwik3457bb

Postby qwik3457bb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 am

As I said at the old place...
Big made the message boards, and therefore our lives, a little better every day with every post. His contributions, and his presence, will be missed. His long fight is over.
Rest in Peace, Jon.
Last edited by qwik3457bb on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Knowledge is good.
Emil Faber, 1904

hampfan

Postby hampfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am

qwik3457bb wrote:As I said at the old place...
Big made the message boards, and therefore our lives, a little better every day with every post. His contributions, and his presence, will be missed. His long fight is over.
Rest in Peace, Joseph.

I wrote to John last year and he replied in his notable upbeat fashion: he was determined to fight to live. He wasn't just a "Big Guy" but a Great one in his own right, perhaps in the way he viewed Mantle, surely his early and lifelong Yankee hero. As others here have noted, he was responsible for--in many ways the author of--many of us moving to this board, away from the knife-fight-like opinions that were getting increasingly tossed around on the other board. Even so, he visited there now and then, chiming in, as here, w/ his opinions about this and that player, coach, manager, GM and/or owner, which he allowed were never more than opinions, although always well-informed. I'll miss his observations and comments mightily. In the end, we're all just passing visitors to this earth.
0 x

GottaGoToMo

Postby GottaGoToMo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:44 am

This was shocking news when I just read it on YES ... I am deeply saddened at Jon's passing ... he was a good friend and the best poster ever ... the name Big Guy suited him well ... he will be sorely missed.
0 x

Return to “Yankees”