YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

hampfan

Re: YANKEE NEWS 2019 SEASON

Postby hampfan » Wed May 15, 2019 12:11 am

Hamp, I don't have a problem with Gardy being criticized. I have a problem with constantly hearing YOUR obsession with criticizing Gardner. Gamel and McKinney couldn't beat Gardner out, nor are they as good. As far as the AA kid, talk about him when he makes the majors. At this point in his career, Gardner should be a part-time player. (3-4 days/week)

With all the injuries, he is an experienced player who can keep things together in the lineup and clubhouse. Is his offense less than perfect? Hell yeah! His defense is still plus in CF and LF. Without him, we're fucked. So please find someone else to bitch about!!! You're an awesome guy, one of the best I've ever met posting, but please get off Gardy.[/quote]

davis, I confess you're absolutely right. I need to get off this anti-Gardy thing. He's valuable to the team, I admit, though I still think "we could do better" in that slot. But still, enough's enough. You're right, and right to call me on it. I mostly on your side, at least most of the time.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 am

Yankees acquire Kendrys Morales from Athletics

Could Morales give the lineup some extra power?

By Tyler Norton May 14, 2019, 9:08pm EDT

Stan Szeto-USA TODAY Sports

While the rest of New York waited to see if Zion Williamson would join the Knicks, the Yankees made a notable move of their own. The team announced the acquisition of first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales from the Athletics. In exchange, New York will send Oakland cash considerations or a player to be named later.

Morales, 35, hit .204/.310/.259 with a home run across 126 plate appearances (65 wRC+) in 2019. The Athletics designated him for assignment yesterday. He is, however, just a season removed from a year when he hit to a 108 wRC+ with 21 home runs for the Blue Jays.

A career .267/.328/.456 hitter (111 wRC+), Morales can also play some defense at first base. He grades out around average at the position. The Yankees, however, will probably employ him as the designated hitter with Miguel Andujar and Giancarlo Stanton on the injured list for the foreseeable future. The team will hope that the switch hitter can take aim at the short porch and give the lineup some extra firepower.

As a corresponding move, the Yankees transferred Jonathan Loaisiga to the 60-day injured list. The team announced yesterday that the right-hander was shut down with a shoulder strain.
0 x
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 am

Yankees’ Miguel Andujar could elect to have season-ending surgery

By Dan Martin May 15, 2019 | 4:39am

Miguel Andujar Paul J. Bereswill

The Yankees have lived without the version of Miguel Andujar they came to depend upon a year ago, as the third baseman has been unable to produce since returning from a torn labrum.

They soon may be without him at all the rest of the season.

Andujar underwent another MRI exam on his right shoulder which was “about identical” to the one following his original injury, manager Aaron Boone said on Tuesday.

“The small labrum tear is still there, it hasn’t changed at all,’’ Boone said before the Yankees’ game against the Orioles in The Bronx was postponed by rain. “The rest of the shoulder is pretty good and stable. I think over the next 24 hours, he’s gonna have those conversations with his family and with us to figure out the best course of action: whether to go down the road of surgery or whether to continue to rehab. These will be the decisions made over the next 24 hours.”

Boone added that a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection is not an option for the 24-year-old Andujar — who was just 3-for-34 with no extra-base hits, one walk and nine strikeouts in nine games since coming off the injured list for the first time. Never a strong fielder, Andujar didn’t look good in limited action at third. He was put back on the 10-day IL on Monday, and there’s no telling when he might return.

Boone acknowledged surgery would “probably” end Andujar’s season, and Dr. Steven Struhl, orthopedic surgeon at NYU Medical Center, Hospital for Joint Diseases, said recovery could take 6-12 months.

“There’s no harm in rehabbing more, but you’re pushing back his return if you wind up performing surgery,’’ Struhl said. “Surgery is the most reliable option. With an elite athlete, there’s at least a 75-80 percent chance he comes back to his previous level, and I believe he will. The fact he’s young is a good thing.”

But it would still leave the Yankees without one of their most consistent bats from a year ago. Andujar finished runner-up for AL Rookie of the Year last season. Only Giancarlo Stanton finished with more homers and RBIs for the Yankees, and just Aaron Judge had a higher OPS and OPS-plus.

“Miguel is a really good player,’’ Boone said. “I’m sure a lot of [his struggles] are related to the shoulder. Taking a good player out of the mix is a blow. We certainly feel like we can absorb it.”

Gio Urshela will be thrust into an even more important role, and he has done well so far.

“Gio has stepped up in a huge way for us,’’ Boone said. “To lose Miguel Andujar and his production would be a blow that we’d have to deal with.”

Urshela, 27, has been solid since being recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on April 6. Always an above-average defender, Urshela has been excellent offensively. In his past 16 games, Urshela is 19-for-48 with five doubles and two homers — and delivered several clutch hits along the way.

Despite the increased likelihood Andujar will have to go under the knife, Boone said he hadn’t resigned himself to that being the case.

“Not yet,’’ the manager said. “Out of respect to [Andujar], I want him to be able to work through this. I just want him to feel good about whatever decision he makes.’’
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 am

How Yankees’ Zack Britton got his signature pitch back

By Kevin Kernan May 15, 2019 | 4:12am

Zack Britton Charles Wenzelberg

Baseball is all about depth.

The Yankees have shown their depth in many ways. That is how they are playing .600 ball despite injuries to such stars as Aaron Judge, Miguel Andujar, Luis Severino and Giancarlo Stanton, who has a mysterious left shoulder strain.

For reliever Zack Britton, the depth to his sinker has returned, making all the difference in his world.

In a year of good moves by the Yankees, Britton’s signing to a free-agent contract that could be worth as much as $53 million over four years this past January is turning out to be a huge win. It all comes back to the depth on his sinker.

Sure, the Red Sox messed up by not bringing back Craig Kimbrel, but they really messed up by not signing Britton. This has turned out to be a brilliant signing and over his past four outings, the lefty has not allowed a run across 4 ¹/₃ innings — striking out five and allowing three hits while opposing batters have just a .400 OPS over that span. Overall, he is 1-0 with a 3.12 ERA in 18 games.

In many ways, Britton has saved this Yankees bullpen. Here is the story of what happened to Britton’s sinker, directly from Britton:

“I learned that pitch when I was in short-season A-ball,’’ Britton told The Post on Tuesday night before the Yankees game against the Orioles, his former team, was postponed at a drenched Yankee Stadium. “I gradually started getting more comfortable with it and it was more of a natural pitch for me.’’

Then, Britton tore his right Achilles tendon after the 2017 season. During his comeback, the sinker became inconsistent for the first time ever.

“I think it had something to do with my landing leg and the injury, I couldn’t really pull down, if that makes any sense,’’ Britton said. “Now that I have my strength back, I’m able to uncreate the bad habit I created last year, and now I’m seeing that the action is a lot more consistent.’’

The pitch is breaking down, frustrating hitters.

The Yankees’ analytics department, Britton explained, has a way of measuring the depth of the sinker.

“It’s getting back to where it was moving straight down,’’ said Britton, who was originally acquired in a trade with the Orioles last July. “It’s actually a one-seam fastball. The way the numbers work, the closer to zero you can count on the analytics chart, the better it is. If it’s zero, the ball went straight down, and that is almost impossible.’’

Kind of like the expression, the pitch fell off the table.

“When I was good, I was anywhere from a low-four to a one,’’ Britton said of the sinker, “and that is where I am back to now. When I was struggling, it was more like a six, seven, it was flattening out. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t as good.’’

Britton smiled and said: “I didn’t even know these numbers existed until I got to the Yankees. I’m spewing all these numbers and I don’t even know what the whole deal is. But the closer I get to zero means it’s doing what I want it to do.’’

The bottom line is the bottom is dropping out of his sinker again. That’s all that matters.

“The strength wasn’t all the way there,” pitching coach Larry Rothschild noted, “so it just took a little while.’’

Britton’s success allowed the Yankees to send Chad Green to the minors for a tune-up, and now the bullpen is that much deeper. Britton’s career 1.86 ERA as a reliever is the lowest among all active relievers with a minimum of 100 games in relief.

Manager Aaron Boone marvels at the movement Britton gets on his pitches.

“There are times when we are sitting over on the side and we say, ‘Wow, it looks like a right-handed slider that he just threw,’ ’’ Boone said. “The movement he gets on pitches and he is filling up the strike zone with it, it is a big-time weapon. I feel like he is continuing to get further and further away from the injury and getting back to being the dominant reliever that he can be.’’

Depth makes all the difference.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 am

MLB trade rumors: Ex-Yankee could be hottest reliever on market

Updated 8:10 AM; Today 8:00 AM

A former Brian Cashman draft pick could be a major trade deadline name to watch. (AP Photo | Frank Franklin II)

By Joe Giglio | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Over a decade ago, Ian Kennedy was a name every big baseball fan knew.

As the lead up to the MLB trade deadline commences, what’s old will become new again.

Kennedy, the ex-Yankees farmhand turned 20-game winner turned journeyman starter, has a new role: Top-flight reliever.

The now-Royals high-end late-game option is off to an excellent start and is slated to be a hot name on the trade market this summer. In fact, MLB.com’s Richard Justice put Kennedy No. 2 on a list of relievers that could be dealt this season.

‘Money complicates this potential deal, which means the Royals may have to pick up some of the $16.5 million he’s owed in 2020 in exchange for a sweeter trade package. Kennedy, 34, began this season with two career relief appearances, but may have found a successful second MLB chapter, posting a strikeout rate near 30 percent this season for what would be the first time in his career.

Kennedy entered play on May 14 with a 2.45 ERA across 18.1 innings. That includes 23 strikeouts and just two walks. Kennedy has shown an uptick in velocity and knack for performing out of the pen.

Teams like the Phillies, Braves, Nationals, Mets, Red Sox and Twins all could use an arm like Kennedy to bolster their respective bullpens down the stretch of the season. If Kennedy keeps up his fast start, it’s hard to imagine the rebuilding Royals holding on to him much longer.
0 x

JoeGNJ

Postby JoeGNJ » Wed May 15, 2019 8:32 am

BigGuy wrote:Yankees acquire Kendrys Morales from Athletics

Could Morales give the lineup some extra power?

By Tyler Norton May 14, 2019, 9:08pm EDT

Stan Szeto-USA TODAY Sports

While the rest of New York waited to see if Zion Williamson would join the Knicks, the Yankees made a notable move of their own. The team announced the acquisition of first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales from the Athletics. In exchange, New York will send Oakland cash considerations or a player to be named later.

Morales, 35, hit .204/.310/.259 with a home run across 126 plate appearances (65 wRC+) in 2019. The Athletics designated him for assignment yesterday. He is, however, just a season removed from a year when he hit to a 108 wRC+ with 21 home runs for the Blue Jays.

A career .267/.328/.456 hitter (111 wRC+), Morales can also play some defense at first base. He grades out around average at the position. The Yankees, however, will probably employ him as the designated hitter with Miguel Andujar and Giancarlo Stanton on the injured list for the foreseeable future. The team will hope that the switch hitter can take aim at the short porch and give the lineup some extra firepower.

As a corresponding move, the Yankees transferred Jonathan Loaisiga to the 60-day injured list. The team announced yesterday that the right-hander was shut down with a shoulder strain.

I’m having a hard time making sense of this acquisition. Even as a DH, can’t see a need for him. Hope there isn’t something with a guy lurking in the background.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 am

Giancarlo Stanton now has shoulder injury? Yankees being vague about mysterious injury

Updated 7:03 AM; Today 6:00 AM

Yankees outfielder/designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton received a cortisone shot in his left shoulder on Monday. (Frank Franklin II | AP)

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEW YORK -- Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Giancarlo Stanton is past the biceps injury that landed him on the injured list following the team’s third game of the season on April 1.

Now he’s sitting out of the lineup for a completely different reason.

Boone said Tuesday a shoulder issue is now what’s holding Stanton out of the lineup.

“Just not quite right. I don’t know the exact diagnosis of it,” Boone said. “He’s through the biceps injury and there’s just been that lingering shoulder stuff that he’s trying to get knocked out. So basically it’s just coming back from that.”

Boone said the injury wasn’t any sort of tear, but he did not go into any more specifics about the issue.

“He doesn’t have a perfect shoulder by any means, and he’s dealt with, to varying degrees, a dead period or just some soreness in there or whatnot,” Boone said. “As for as a diagnosis or what exactly it is, I don’t have that.”

Stanton played just three games to start the season before he landed on the injured list with the biceps strain, and the Yankees said that injury was expected to hold him out until the end of April.

The shoulder injury has prolonged that recovery into May, and Stanton still has some stages to go before returning to the lineup.

However, the outfielder/designated hitter has been making progress toward a return. Boone said he took nine live at bats on Monday, and he followed that up on Tuesday with running and defensive work. Getting more at bats will be the next step for Stanton.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am

The implications of Deivi Garcia’s rapid rise

The 19-year-old’s ascent through the Yankees’ farm system could portend big things to come.

By John Griffin May 15, 2019, 11:00am EDTSHARE

Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images

Over the past few years, the Yankees have quietly become one of the league’s better teams when it comes to developing starting pitching, with Luis Severino, Domingo German, and Jordan Montgomery taking major steps in their development that have culminated in, at minimum, flashes of an ability to excel at the Major League level.

The latest of these looks to be the 19-year-old phenom Deivi Garcia, the subject of a recent prospect profile posted in the New York Post. He’s drawn comparisons to Pedro Martinez due to his diminutive stature — he’s only 5’9” — and electric stuff. Recently promoted to Double-A Trenton after lighting the Florida State League on fire with the Tampa Tarpons, he has his sights set on the Bronx as early as this year, and it seems like the Yankees may agree; at the very least, his manager, Pat Osborn, agrees.

It remains to be seen whether or not the Yankees are actually fast-tracking Garcia, or if he simply showed that he had nothing left to prove at Tampa after ten starts there, posting a 1.96 ERA and striking out over 13 batters per nine. But if they are, that could give us a little bit of insight into the Yankees’ plans for the prospect, both for this year and for the future.

Back in 2015, the Yankees promoted Luis Severino in early August in lieu of adding a starting pitcher at the deadline; he provided a shot in the arm to the rotation down the stretch, posting a 2.89 ERA (4.37 FIP) in 11 starts, finishing with a 5-3 record. The Yankees could look for a similar boost from Garcia, particularly if they find the mid-season free agent and trade markets uninspiring. While I’m not going to debate the merits of relying on an unproven commodity in the middle of a tight divisional race — there are many other opportunities for that — there is a clear precedent in recent years that the Yankees can draw on, should Garcia force the Yankees’ hand through his performance.

Beyond this year, the Yankees clearly need to begin looking towards the rotation of the future, for as of now, the 2021 rotation consists of Luis Severino, Domingo German, Jonathan Loaisiga, and Chance Adams (Masahiro Tanaka and James Paxton will be free agents, while J.A. Happ has a vesting option for 2021). While we cannot speak definitively of where these players will be in three years — if I had that kind of foresight, I’d be in the business, or play lotto — it is easy to dream of a future rotation topped by a Cerberus of Severino, German, and Garcia.

It remains to be seen whether or not Garcia can continue his rapid rise through the farm system, or if the 19-year-old will finally slow down while playing against competition that is, on average, more than four years older than him. The fact that he can, however, gives us a bit of an insight into where the Yankees are looking for the future, both this year and in upcoming years.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

What does the uncertainty around Giancarlo Stanton mean for the Yankees in the long run?

The recent update on Giancarlo Stanton’s shoulder, or lack thereof, means the Yankees could look a lot different after the All-Star break.

By Will Sirbono May 15, 2019, 1:00pm EDT

Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

Yesterday the Yankees received some more news about the injured Giancarlo Stanton. Unfortunately Aaron Boone said nothing positive when asked for an update on the former MVP.

Yankees beat reporter Bryan Hoch attempted to get some intel out of Boone on Stanton’s status, and he didn’t get very far. Boone didn’t even try to dodge the questions, as he just seemed to have a lack of information. Frequently utilizing “I don’t know” and “I think” as part of his response, he doesn’t even seem to know if a possible return for Stanton is on the horizon.

One positive you can take from his response is that Stanton seems to be putting in some work, getting “nine at-bats yesterday and more of the same today”. Yet, prefacing that statement with “I don’t know what exactly is going on” doesn’t exactly portray confidence on the part of the Yankees manager.

Although the Yankees later clarified his diagnosis as a left shoulder strain, we don’t know enough about what’s going on with Stanton. So, let’s talk about what we do know. Since there doesn’t seem to be any timetable on his return, let’s assume he’ll be out for at the very least the remainder of May, and possibly much longer. If that ends up being the case, we’re looking at this lineup getting its power from Gary Sanchez, Luke Voit, and maybe Kendrys Morales. Sanchez and Voit have been playing at an All-Star caliber level through the first quarter of the season, and both are among the top five in MLB for home runs hit so far. Plus, with the activation of Aaron Hicks on Monday, the team should have no shortage of pop.

What else does Stanton’s continued absence mean? Well, it might mean getting used to the sight of Clint Frazier, as he will almost certainly be with the team for the next several weeks, if not the remainder of the season. Frazier has made almost every bit of his call-up count. In his 93 at-bats this season, he has run an of .840 OPS, supported mostly by an impressive .527 slugging. Though he’s cooled off from a red-hot start since returning from the IL, he has given the Yankees what they most likely would have gotten from a healthy Hicks, minus the elite glove.

If we fast forward to the All-Star break, Yankee fans should expect to have players like Stanton, Aaron Judge, Didi Gregorius and Luis Severino all either already back, or close to making their return. If Stanton isn’t back by then, he most likely has experienced another injury or a setback. Severino was expected to return around the All-Star break or sometime soon afterward. Gregorius, on the other hand, has taken a rather surprising positive step in his recovery from Tommy John surgery.

So far in 2019, Yankees fans have met new players and have rallied around them as sort of lovable underdogs. As much fun as this crippled Yankees team has been to start the year, those four players listed above will eventually make their returns. It’s a thought for the distant future, but in the second half, the Yankees will be playing with a completely different team.

The whole first quarter of the season has been a whirlwind as the Yankees have been propelled by players like Domingo German, Frazier, Gio Urshela, and more recently Thairo Estrada and Cameron Maybin. Towards the end of June and the beginning of July, Yankees fans might be asking themselves “Remember when Cameron Maybin robbed that homer back in May?” as Aaron Judge takes right field.

It sets up an odd juxtaposition, where Yankees fans just may have rooted for two entirely different teams in the first and second halves of the season. What will be the identity of the Yankees by the end of 2019? How will this team be remembered? If the stars come back in force and the team romps with a wholly different lineup, will it be remembered as a powerhouse? Will it still be remembered as this unheralded group of replacements? How do you as a fan look back on the season knowing they got through it all and completed the season-long journey with essentially two different squads?

On Opening Day, Yankees fans were prepared to watch one of the best if not the best team in baseball top to bottom. Yet what they’ve gotten is a lovable sequel to Keanu Reeves’ The Replacements. What will the Yankees look like a month from now? We’ll have to wait and see. Yet, with time, health will presumably come, and Yankees fans will hopefully be welcoming their All-Stars back while saying tearful goodbyes to some key players that kept them afloat during one of the worst injury epidemics MLB has ever seen.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm

0 x

Return to “Yankees”