Yankees Off Season 2017

BigGuy

Re: Yankees Off Season 2017

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 am

The secret to CC Sabathia’s success revealed

By Dan Martin March 14, 2018 | 4:30am

CC Sabathia AP

TAMPA — Ron Gardenhire is in his first year as manager of the Tigers, but he spent 13 seasons at the helm in Minnesota, and he’s had a front-row seat to CC Sabathia’s transformation from fireballer to crafty lefty.

“That’s what really good pitchers do,” Gardenhire said after Sabathia had a solid outing against Detroit, giving up just one run in four innings in a 2-2 tie Tuesday at George M. Steinbrenner Field. “That’s how they hang around a long, long time. He can pitch. I hate it when he pitches against us because he’s tough.”

There had been doubts — as recently as last season — about how much longer opponents would talk about Sabathia like that.

But other than the injury he suffered in Toronto in August that briefly led Sabathia to consider retirement, he has thrived despite diminished velocity.

The process of getting by with less continued Tuesday, when Sabathia challenged himself by trying to come up with different ways to deal with Miguel Cabrera.

“After I got him out with a changeup the first time, I just tried to figure out how to get him out the next time,” Sabathia said. “You can’t let him see the same pitches the next time.”

It’s a puzzle Sabathia didn’t have to worry about in his younger years.

“I didn’t give a [bleep] about sequence then,” Sabathia said with a laugh, referring to when he had dominant stuff. “You were gonna get what you were gonna get: fastball and slider.”

That hasn’t been the case for a while, and the Yankees are trusting the 37-year-old to again be able to more than just get by using guile more than gas.

It’s why they signed him to a $10 million deal early in the offseason — a contract Sabathia almost certainly wouldn’t have gotten if he had stayed on the market.

“We’ve battled him for a long time when he was in Cleveland and [the Yankees],’’ Gardenhire said. “He figures out ways to beat you. He’s a tough guy who’s been through a lot.”

Sabathia continues to pitch with a brace and receives regular treatment on his knee, as his new manager gets a different look at him.

“There’s no question he has made that transition,” Aaron Boone said. “I think he’s a great athlete, so for being such a big guy, he’s so repeatable with his delivery that I just think he’s gotten now really comfortable with how to pitch with the stuff he has and he sequences really [well]. It allows him to throw any pitch any time for a strike.”

Sabathia’s only mistake turned into a homer by Leonys Martin in the third, as he allowed four hits and one run in four innings.

He expects to make two more starts this spring and insisted he wouldn’t have a problem pitching in Toronto, where he suffered the setback to his knee in August — and where the Yankees play the first four games of the season.

“There’s no turf on the mound,” said Sabathia, adding it was simply a coincidence his knee got worse there.

Instead, he’s more concerned with how to keep hitters off-balance.

It’s a process his former teammate Phil Hughes is going through. The Twins right-hander credited Sabathia with helping him deal with pitching with reduced velocity.

“I think you’re always still learning and trying to figure things out, but I feel pretty comfortable with the stuff that I have,” Sabathia said. “[Hughes] looked good [Monday]. You’ve got to try to trick them with the stuff you’ve got. I always feel like you want to get better.”
0 x
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 am

Yankees option top prospect Gleyber Torres to Triple-A

PETER BOTTE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 1:56 AM

TAMPA — The foregone conclusion of Gleyber Torres heading back to the minor leagues once veteran second baseman Neil Walker was signed by the Yankees on Monday only lasted one additional day.

Torres, the top prospect in the organization, was optioned to Triple-A Scranton following Tuesday’s 2-2 tie against the Tigers at George Steinbrenner Field.

“For me it’s Gleyber just playing and getting the reps and he’ll be fine,” Aaron Boone said before the move was announced. “I thought his at-bats were a little bit better today…All spring he’s hit some balls that he hasn’t gotten any love for, but he just needs now to continue to play and get the reps and it won’t be too long when it clicks.”

The 21-year-old Torres, who underwent season-ending Tommy John surgery on his left (non-throwing) elbow last summer, was batting .160 (4-for-25) with no RBI in 11 spring training games. He had been competing with Tyler Wade and others for playing time at second base before Walker was inked to a one-year deal worth $4 million (plus incentives) on Monday.

“It’s the decision of the team. I don’t control that,” Torres said. “It’s not easy, nine months of no games and come back perfect. I’m human. I’ll stay focused and go wherever they tell me, do my job and wait for another opportunity.”

Catcher Kyle Higashioka also was optioned to Triple-A and reassigned to minor-league camp.

WALK THIS WAY
Walker worked out at first base and second base and took batting practice; he will switch over to the minor-league complex on Wednesday for a crash course of at-bats in simulated games, Boone said.

Walker, who had been working out at the MLBPA’s camp for unsigned free agents, added that he hopes to make his spring-training debut in a game as early as Friday.

“He’ll get some at-bats across the street, get a full day’s work on Thursday and then probably play on Friday,” Boone said. “I think he comes in here a little more ahead of the game…because he was working out at that camp.”

MR. PERFECTO
Yanks legend Don Larsen, who tossed the only perfect game in World Series history in 1956, received a standing ovation when introduced to the crowd before the game…Special advisor Reggie Jackson underwent knee surgery on Tuesday after slipping and falling while out for a walk earlier this week…Didi Gregorius smashed his third home run of the preseason. Adam Warren, Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson and Chad Green combined for four scoreless innings.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:23 am

Aaron Judge’s low salary may help Yankees avoid luxury-tax

By Dan Martin March 14, 2018 | 5:07am

Aaron Judge Charles Wenzelberg

TAMPA — Aaron Judge is coming off a season in which he led the American League in homers, but he won’t be leading the league in salary anytime soon. The AL Rookie of the Year is set to make $622,300 with the Yankees this season, according to the Associated Press Thursday.

Judge won’t be eligible for salary arbitration until after the 2019 season.

Luis Severino, who finished third in the AL Cy Young Award vote last year, is set to make $604,975, while Greg Bird will make $582,000 and Jordan Montgomery $580,450.

Those price tags are the key to the Yankees reaching their goal of staying under the $197 million luxury-tax threshold.

NOTES

Jacoby Ellsbury is slated to take batting practice for the first time on Wednesday since suffering an oblique injury that has jeopardized his readiness for Opening Day.

“I’m advancing every day,” Ellsbury said. “I’ve been running, throwing and lifting. Pretty much everything. The next step will be batting practice outside. … I haven’t had any setbacks.”

Two of the three Yankees to have ever pitched perfect games were at George M. Steinbrenner Field on Tuesday, as Don Larsen was greeted with a loud ovation when he was introduced on the field before the game and David Cone was in the broadcast booth.

The top four hitters in the Yankees lineup, Brett Gardner, Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and Gary Sanchez, combined to go 0-for-12 with five strikeouts in the 2-2 tie with the Tigers.

Neil Walker is slated to do some work at the team’s minor league complex while the Yankees face the Orioles in Sarasota, Fla. at 1:05 p.m.

Chance Adams, who could be among the first pitchers the Yankees look to if they need rotation help during the season, will start against Baltimore.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:29 am

Yankees stud prospect learning the hard lessons at 1st MLB camp

By Ken Davidoff March 14, 2018 | 2:41am

Estevan Florial Charles Wenzelberg

TAMPA — This, late Tuesday afternoon at George M. Steinbrenner Field, represented why Estevan Florial belongs in the Yankees’ major league camp.

This, when the 20-year-old committed what could have been a game-losing gaffe and failed to drive in what would have been the game-winning run.

“A good teaching moment there,” said Aaron Boone, sounding like a public-service announcement, “and something to grow on.”

Florial, the center fielder whom Brian Cashman calls a “tool shed” because of his impressive ability to hit, hit with power, throw, run and field, is the talk of Yankees camp despite his rough one-inning stint in the Yankees’ 2-2 tie with the Tigers. The 20-year-old owns a .286/.400/.571 slash line in 15 Grapefruit League games, totaling 21 at-bats, and has people talking as much about his steady head as his explosive athleticism.

He stands as the favorite to win the James P. Dawson Award, given annually to the best rookie in Yankees camp, because the club decided to push its most compelling prospect in what has turned into one of the industry’s best farm systems.

“I remember discussing this winter, as [Yankees vice president of baseball operations] Tim Naehring and others suggested whether Florial should come to camp or not, and they were pushing for it, thinking it would be a great experience for him,” Cashman said Tuesday before the game. “And so we put him in camp and he’s done a great job. Obviously, with Ells’ injury and Frazier’s injury, he’s still here because he’s getting reps.”

Jacoby Ellsbury’s oblique and Clint Frazier’s concussion meant that Florial was the obvious choice to relieve Aaron Hicks on Tuesday once Hicks tallied his third plate appearance in the bottom of the eighth, during which the Yankees scored two runs to take a 2-1 lead. Jacoby Jones led off with a single against Giovanny Gallegos and advanced to second on a wild pitch, and Victor Reyes followed by stroking a single to center field. With Jones coming around to tie the game, Florial showed off his monster arm … way too much. His throw sailed far away from catcher Kyle Higashioka, on the third base-side, and that allowed Reyes to go to second.

“Take what the game gives you,” Boone said. “That’s a play where you’re trying to do something, it’s the tying run, but sometimes it’s not there to be had.”

Florial, who said he had not spoken with any of his superiors about the play, nevertheless echoed his manager, saying, “Sometimes, I think we have to take what the game gives to you. I felt I tried to do too much because the tying runner was on second, because I didn’t have a chance to get him.”

In the bottom of the ninth, with teammates on second and third and two outs, Florial grounded out to Detroit second baseman Harold Castro to conclude the game in a deadlock.

One bad inning won’t undo what Florial has done in his camp, further cementing the untouchable status he gained last summer.

“Just the way he carries himself, as much off the field as on the field,” Brett Gardner said of Florial, who was born in Haiti and grew up in the Dominican Republic. “Very hard worker. Very focused. And he’s very, very talented, man. He’s got a lot of tools.”

New Yankees first base/outfield coach Reggie Willits, who spent the three prior seasons as an organizational outfield and base-running coordinator — a role that often paired him up with Florial — said, “I’ve seen guys with that kind of speed, but not with the combination of the other tools to go with it. He can impact the baseball. His arm strength. He’s a pretty special player.”

A scout who has seen Florial play extensively opined, on the condition of anonymity: “He just needs to learn the strike zone and develop that combination of patience with aggressiveness. He can be a really good big-league player.”

Florial will start 2018 at Class-A Tampa, where he finished last year, so a big league call-up this season ranks as unlikely. The Yankees hope that his sharing a clubhouse with “a lot of All-Star players here,” as he put it, will enhance his already quick learning curve. Since signing with the Yankees as a 17-year-old, his status delayed by confusion surrounding his identity, Florial has learned both baseball and English at remarkable speeds.

“Now it’s about getting as many reps to refine those tools and see how far it takes him,” Cashman said.

He’ll be better for having gone this far this soon, hard lessons and all.
Last edited by BigGuy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 am

Could Domingo German be this season’s Chad Green?

German has pitched extremely well so far this spring and is quickly rising up the Yankees’ depth chart.

By Brett Borzelli

Yankees starting pitcher Domingo German delivers a pitch against the New York Mets during a spring training game at First Data Field on March 7, 2018 in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

Domingo German has appeared in four games for the Yankees so far this spring. He has allowed one run on seven hits, while walking four and striking out 13 batters over 10 2/3 innings pitched.

German’s most recent outing came in relief yesterday versus the Twins. He pitched three scoreless innings, giving up one hit, no walks, and striking out three. It was his most dominant Grapefruit League appearance yet.

In his start last Wednesday against the Mets, the right-hander retired the first six batters he faced in order, including striking out the side in the second inning. The punch-out victims were Todd Frazier, Adrian Gonzalez, and Jose Reyes.

Unfortunately, German’s perfect outing was spoiled when he walked the first two batters in the third inning. Walks had been his bugaboo during his cup of coffee in the big leagues last year. German allowed nine bases on balls in only 14 1/3 innings while pitching in relief for the Yankees in 2017.

The team’s number eighteen-ranked prospect continues to display his greatest asset, that being his ability to rack up strikeouts. German’s high strikeout rate in Grapefruit League action this spring is roughly in line with what he did during the regular season last year (11.3 k/9).

New York’s Opening Day pitching staff appears set. Manager Aaron Boone officially announced Jordan Montgomery as the fifth starter last week. The bullpen, meanwhile, will feature Aroldis Chapman, Chad Green, Dellin Betances, Adam Warren, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle. Chasen Shreve is out of minor-league options, so he will be the seventh man in the pen.

I currently have German listed as the club’s number-six starter, ahead of Chance Adams (who is not on the 40-man roster) and Luis Cessa. German is also battling Ben Heller and Jonathan Holder for the right to claim the eighth spot on the bullpen depth chart. He appears to have a leg up there as well.

Chad Green, you will recall, was the runner-up in the fifth starter competition last spring in what was a very close race. Green began the season in Triple-A, and the organization kept him stretched out as a starter in Scranton’s rotation, just in case. As it turned out, the Yankees’ starters stayed healthy until June, but the club needed help in the bullpen much sooner.

Green was called up at the beginning of May, and was such a force in relief, that he remained there for the duration. He ended up turning in a historically great season as a reliever, and was a big reason the team got to within one win of the World Series. Green’s pedigree as a starter proved to be an important part of his contribution to the team. Including the postseason, 33 of his 45 appearances were for more than one inning.

It’s easy to envision a similar career path moving forward for Domingo German. Barring a spring training injury to one of the pitchers slated to make the Opening Day roster, German will begin the season in Triple-A. Like Green before him, German will probably claim a spot in Scranton’s rotation to stay stretched out.

The injury bug will bite the major-league roster sooner or later — it always does. The Yankees used 25 pitchers in games last season. So German is going to get his chance soon enough. If German can continue to make strides in getting his walk-rate under control, the 25-year-old strikeout artist could prove to be a powerful weapon for the Yankees this year.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:41 am

AL East Notes: Tulo, Axford, Clippard, Torres, O’s, Cobb, BoSox

By Steve Adams and Jeff Todd | March 13, 2018 at 10:58pm CDT

Blue Jays skipper John Gibbons signaled on Monday that Troy Tulowitzki won’t be ready for Opening Day, writes MLB.com’s Jon Morosi. “I think you can write Tulo off [for Opening Day] right now,” said Gibbons of his shortstop, who is currently dealing with a bone spur in his right heel. Tulo’s lack of availability likely means the Jays will carry just seven relievers to open the season Morosi notes, which will allow the team to bring four middle infielders — Devon Travis, Aledmys Diaz, Yangervis Solarte and Gift Ngoepe — when they break camp.

Meanwhile, both John Axford and Tyler Clippard are likely to make the Blue Jays’ bullpen after signing minor league deals, per Morosi. Gibbons praised a new two-seam fastball that Axford has been utilizing as well as improved control from the veteran righty. “What’s jumped out at me is he’s keeping that thing in the zone,” said Gibbons. “What little I’ve known in the past, at times he could scatter, but really that hasn’t happened at all this spring. That’s encouraging. And he still throws really, really hard.”

More from the AL East…

The Yankees announced today that top prospect Gleyber Torres has been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The move doesn’t come as a huge surprise given the team’s signing of Neil Walker to a one-year deal and Torres’ struggles this spring as he makes his way back from Tommy John surgery in his non-throwing arm. Torres, who has just 55 games above Class-A Advanced under his belt and just 96 plate appearances at the Triple-A level, went 4-for-25 with seven strikeouts in Grapefruit League play. The 21-year-old will likely make his MLB debut with the Yankees at some point in 2018, and optioning him comes with the added benefit of pushing back his service clock to gain an extra year of club control (assuming he spends at least three weeks or so in the minors to open the season).

The Orioles spoke with Lance Lynn’s agents right up until the time he signed with the Twins, writes Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. However, Lynn was seeking a two-year deal from the Orioles, whereas he agreed to a one-year, $12MM deal in order to join the Twins. Kubatko adds that the Orioles are of the impression that fellow right-hander Alex Cobb is also seeking a multi-year deal and that a contract comparable to Lynn’s pact with the Twins won’t get the job done.

The Red Sox would like to stash some MLB rotation depth at Triple-A but are having a tough time getting deals done, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston writes. Remaining hurlers are understandably interested in joining teams where they’ll have a reasonably achievable path to the Majors. Boston entered the winter with a rather full set of starters, though as Drellich notes, there’s increasingly more opportunity to offer with a variety of (hopefully) minor injuries cropping up. The Sox faced a similar struggle in attracting veterans on minor league deals last winter, Drellich notes.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 am

0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 am

Yankees: Which minor leaguers could impact the rotation in 2018?

by Mac Josephson Follow @macjosephson

No rotation is ever lucky enough to stay completely healthy over the course of 162 games. That’s why it’s so important to have depth beyond your starting five. The Yankees have that with a collection of young arms who could impact the big league rotation in 2018.
With a little over two weeks to go until Opening Day the Yankees rotation is set. There was competition for the fifth starter’s spot coming into camp, but to the surprise of nobody, Jordan Montgomery won the job. After his terrific rookie season and strong start to the spring the decision was a no brainer for new skipper Aaron Boone.

However, because management opted not to sign a free agent starter there will come a time where somebody from the minor leagues will be called upon to join the rotation. Their stay might not be long, but they’ll be given an opportunity to make an impact.

Let’s take a look at potential call-ups who could do just that.

Chance Adams
Adams is the obvious name on the list after having an excellent season last year between Double and Triple-A. He’s quickly gone through every level of the minor leagues since being drafted back in 2015 and it’s only a matter of time before he’s ready to make his big league debut. He still has work to do when it comes to developing a third out pitch, but he has the stuff to get big league hitters out with his fastball/slider combo right now.

Adams would’ve likely already been given a shot in the Yankee rotation if not for Montgomery’s success. Now it’s a luxury to have him waiting in the wings at Triple-A. There’s a reason why he’s been one of, if not the top pitching prospect in the system over the past two years. This could be the season he gets his opportunity to show why.

Domingo Acevedo
Acevedo has been someone to keep an eye for the past couple seasons because of his power fastball that has reached up to 103 mph. He’s a big man at 6’7, 250 lbs, but unlike most pitchers who are that tall he has pretty good control. That’s one of the reasons management has stuck with him as a starter instead of converting him to a flame thrower out of the pen.

This spring we haven’t seen him in any game action because all his work has come in simulated games. However, he’s certainly flashed his potential; just ask Aaron Boone.

Here’s Boone on Acevedo, per Randy Miller of NJ.com.

“He’s a guy that because of his talent, as soon as he gets rolling, he gets himself into the (emergency starter) conversation in a hurry.”

Those are encouraging words from the Yankee manager, which tells you the 24-year old is definitely on the coaching staff’s radar. He’ll still have to conquer Triple-A, after only making four starts with Scranton a season ago. However, don’t be surprised if he’s in pinstripes later this summer.

Luis Cessa
Over the past two seasons Cessa has the most big league experience of the four names you’ll see on this list. The results have been hit and miss. His career 4.49 ERA isn’t great, but that’s mostly because of his struggles when he was back and forth on the Scranton shuttle a season ago. During his rookie year of 2016 he looked like a future staple in the rotation after posting a solid 1.09 WHIP in 51.2 innings as a starter.

Two straight seasons of poor spring performances have cost Cessa a spot in the rotation and you hope that doesn’t affect him when he starts this season at Triple-A. He’s shown glimpses in the past that he can pitch at this level, but if he doesn’t perform at Scranton he might not get another opportunity.

Domingo German
German has flown under the radar throughout the organization since coming over to the Yankees in the Nathan Eovaldi trade back in 2015. He’s only the team’s 18th best prospect according to MLB Pipeline, but he’s coming off a strong 2017 campaign at Triple-A and he’s had an excellent spring.

The 25 year-old right-hander has an ERA of 0.84 in 10.2 spring innings with a very impressive 13 strikeouts. He’s showcased a high 90s fastball with serious two-seam movement and a nice feel for his change-up and curveball. It’s unclear if German was ever in the running for the fifth starter job but he’s certainly made his mark and that won’t go unnoticed once the regular season rolls around. He could be first in line for a call-up if somebody gets injured.

Outside of these three, the Yankee system has plenty more to offer when it comes to future members of their big league rotation. Justus Sheffield and Albert Abreu are two of the main names to keep an eye on, but they’re probably still a year away from making an impact. The same goes for Frecier Perez and Dillon Tate.

This is all a credit to Brian Cashman and his scouting/player development team. All this organizational depth at such a vital position is going to benefit the Yankees for years to come.
0 x

BigGuy

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 am

Handicapping Yankees' second base opening again with Neil Walker in mix

Updated March 14, 2018 at 06:07 AM
Randy Miller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

TAMPA — When spring training began, the Yankees had five contenders for their open second base position.

Or so we thought.

Based on whom manager Aaron Boone has been playing at second in the Yankees’ first 18 Grapefruit League games, it’s clear that there were three favorites:

Gleyber Torres, Tyler Wade and non-roster Danny Espinosa.

Espinosa was released on Monday and Torres was reassigned to the minor-league camp on Tuesday.

Wade is still around and now competing with a new guy who has been a pretty good big-league second baseman for the last eight seasons, Neil Walker.

Jace Peterson, a non-roster player who started at second for Atlanta in 2016, still is officially in the mix

We handicapped the options just last week, but because a lot has happened since then with additions and subtractions, we’re doing it again here:

Tyler Wade

How Acquired: 2013 draft, 4th round.

Bats: Left

2017 stats: Yankees, .155 average, 58 AB, 7 runs, 9 hits, 4 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 SB, 1 CS, 5 BB, 19 K, 30 games. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA), .310 average, 339 AB, 68 runs, 105 hits, 22 doubles, 4 triples, 7 HR, 31 RBIs, 26 SB, 5 CS, 38 BB, 75 K, 85 games.

2018 spring stats: .333 average, 27 AB, 4 runs, 9 hits, 2 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR, 2 RBIs, 4 BB, 5 K, 1 SB, 3 CS, 13 games.

Spring starts at 2nd base: 6

Spring games at 2nd base: 8

The verdict: Wade is very talented, very confident and he’s looked good this spring at the plate and in the field. If you’ve been thinking that the Neil Walker signing ultimately will lead to Wade opening the season in Triple-A, think again. He’s going to be on the Yankees’ Opening Day roster and he’s probably going to get a bunch of early season starts at second base. Whatever happens later in the season depends on how well he hits. He’s raked in the minors and hit well the last two spring trainings. Expect him to start hitting big-league pitching in real games this season, and if that happens, fans will embrace him because he brings energy with his youthful enthusiasm and speed.

Neil Walker

How acquired: Signed a one-year, $4 million contract with Yankees on March 12.

Bats: Switch-hitter.

2017 stats: New York Mets and Milwaukee Brewers, .265 average, 385 AB, 59 runs, 102 hits, 21 doubles, 2 triples, 14 HR 49 RBIs, 0 SB, 2 CS, 55 BB, 77 K, 111 games.

2018 spring stats: None.

The verdict: One of many free agents who had a tough time finding a job, Walker was a surprise addition to the Yankees on Monday, and he came cheap: One season for $4 million. Yankees manager Aaron Boone is saying the plan is for Walker to play some second base, some first base and maybe a little third. The prediction here is Walker plays about half of the time at second base early in the season, then he hits his way into being a semi-regular there. There’s a lot to like about Walker, especially his power from both sides. Like Todd Frazier last season, he’s going to be popular in the Yankees clubhouse quickly because he’s such as a good guy. The one knock on his game is his lack of range at second base, so he’ll probably be replaced for defense late in tight games by Ronald Torreyes or Tyler Wade.

Ronald Torreyes

How acquired: Selected off waivers by Yankees from L.A. Angels on Feb. 1, 2016.

Bats: Right

2017 stats: Yankees, .292 average, 315 AB, 35 runs, 92 hits, 15 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR, 36 RBIs, 11 BB, 43 K, 2 SB, 0 CS, 108 games.

2018 spring stats: .348 average, 23 AB, 2 runs, 8 hits, 3 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 SB, 1 CS, 1 error, 11 games.

Spring starts at 2nd base: 1

Spring games at 2nd base: 1

The verdict: I really thought Torreyes would get a shot to be in the starter at second base this spring, but it hasn’t happened. If he was really in contention, he’d have played there for a lot more than once. Torreyes earned this opportunity because he was so good last year both in a utility infielder role and during stints when he filled in for a month at a time starting at second and shortstop. I’m starting to think Torreyes doesn’t have much of a future with the Yankees because I keep hearing how management and the coaching staff think Wade is going to be more valuable as a super utility guy who plays infield and outfield. When Gleyber Torreyes is ready to take over at second base - I’m thinking he’ll be making the Yankees think about calling him up by June – the Yankees will have to pick between Wade and Torreyes. I love what Torreyes brings and admire what he brings as a little guy, but Wade is a real threat to his time as a Yankee.

Jace Peterson

How acquired: Signed minor-league contract with Yankees on Jan. 5.

Bats: Left

2017 stats: Atlanta Braves, .215 average, 186 AB, 15 runs, 40 hits, 9 doubles, 2 triples, 2 HR, 17 RBIs, 3 SB, 0 CS, 27 BB, 48 K, 89 games.

2018 spring stats: .125 average, 16 AB, 3 runs, 2 hits, 0 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR, 0 RBIs, 7 BB, 3 K, 1 error, 13 games.

Spring starts at 2nd base: 1

Spring games at 2nd base: 10

The verdict: Peterson never was in the running for the starting second base job or even a utility spot. He’s basically a way-down-the-depth-chart insurance policy who will begin the season in Triple-A. He has outs in his contract in April and May and surely will leave the organization if his agent determines through investigation that he’ll have a better shot to return to the majors elsewhere. At this point, Peterson is a real long shot to ever see Yankee Stadium wearing pinstripes. As for his play this spring, he probably hasn’t impressed other clubs that he can help them.

Gleyber Torres

How acquired: Traded by Chicago Cubs to Yankees with RF Billy McKinney, OF Rashad Crawford and RHP Adam Warren for LHP Aroldis Chapman on July 25, 2016.

Bats: Right

2017 stats: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA), .309 average, 81 AB, 9 runs, 25 hits, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 HR, 16 RBIs, 13 BB, 26 K, 2 SB, 2 CS, 23 games. Trenton (AA), .273 average, 121 AB, 22 runs, 33 hits, 10 doubles, 1 triple, 5 HR, 18 RBI, 18 BB, 20 K, 6 SB, 5 CS, 32 games.

2018 spring stats: .160 average, 25 AB, 3 runs, 4 hits, 2 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR, 0 RBIs, 3 BB, 7 K, 0 SB, 0 CS, 1 error, 11 games.

Spring starts at 2nd base: 7

Spring games at 2nd base: 10

The verdict: Torres was cut by the Yankees on Tuesday and will start the season in Triple-A. A lot of fans and media were convinced that Torres would win the second base job this spring. I felt differently all along. I love everything about this kid’s game – Torres is special – but he has too few at-bats above A-ball and too little experience at second base to be a big-league starter there now for a club like the Yankees that has realistic World Series hopes. Maybe if Torres hadn’t missed the second half of last season recovering from Tommy John surgery things would have turned out different this spring. Torres will be a big leaguer soon though, and he’s going to be an impact player for a long time as a hitter and defender.
0 x

craner7

Postby craner7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:03 am

You know you're over the hill when $622,300 is really not a " low salary " :D
0 x

Return to “Yankees”