Yankees Off Season 2017

hampfan

Re: Yankees Off Season 2017

Postby hampfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 pm

BigGuy wrote:Ken Singleton is leaving the Yankees booth

Ken Singleton (from left) with Michael Kay and David Cone YES Network

The YES Network’s revolving booth will have a different look next season.

Ken Singleton, who has been a Yankees analyst since 1997, announced Monday morning that this would be his final year with the YES Network.

I always respect someone who knows when it's time to retire and give younger people a chance. Singleton's got class all the way. He and Jim Kaat get gold stars as Yankee announcers in my book.
0 x

joeybagadonutz38

Postby joeybagadonutz38 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

BigGuy wrote:
joeybagadonutz38 wrote:
Paterson wrote:
Dumb ass move.

YEP. And that pretty much punches Torres and Andujar to AAA to start the season. I would have rather seen Andujar start at 3B and Drury play 2B with Torres getting back into baseball at AAA. He hasn't hit a lick yet but there was really no need to sign Walker. It cuts into what we can afford to trade for as well if we need an expensive pitcher at the break. I think they have $15 Mil left but this money would have been better spent on a lefty reliever to replace Shreve IMO.

They were both going down anyway. Even if Torres was ready they weren't losing a chance to get a full year more for him before free agency. Andujar's bat deserves the promotion but they obviously aren't in love with his defense, and Cashman is a defense guy. Drury is one of Cashman's man crushes. He's tried to get him before. They didn''t pick him up to ride the bench.

This move was rumored before the Drury deal went thru. I'm not in love with this move. I don't see the need for this one. Not with Drury, Wade, and Torreyes in NY even ahead of Torres and Andujar. Another blocker to the 2 kids. This smells a little like a Levine move. I expect Drury at 3rd and Walker at 2d on opening day now.

I've seen Andujar play in the minors and I've seen him make errors so I get it. However, so far he's looked a LOT better than when I saw him in the minors last year and the year before. Small sample size but he's making all the routine plays as well some pretty tough plays as well. I didn't love the Drury deal but I looked at him as the opening day 2B if Andujar could have won the job. Now he won't get the opportunity unless Drury gets hurt. I see Drury as a decent MLB player but he doesn't have the upside of Andujar. Damn shame!
0 x

joeybagadonutz38

Postby joeybagadonutz38 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I just had to look at their 2017 numbers. Weather here has my feed all F'd up. Anyway Drury and Walker are both slightly above average players but at least Drury is 25 and may have SOME upside. At this point Walker is what he is and his best days are behind him. At least he's not making a ton of money but I think even if he's just average the Yankees will give him the Stephen Drew treatment as long as they are winning. Same for Drury only with a leash 3x as long.

Drury____.267 AVG ___.317 OBP___.764 OPS___13 HR'S____63 RBI'S____1.6 WAR
Walker___.265 AVG____.362 OPB___.801 OPS___14 HR'S____49 RBI'S____1.4 WAR

Do those numbers look familiar? They should
Headley__.273 AVG___.352 OBP___752 OPS___12 HR'S____61 RBI's____1.8 WAR

At least they compare to Headley's best year in a while but still. Not much upside with these moves. The rest of the team/offseason is like fresh pizza out of the oven after being stuck on a desert island for 6 months. The Walker signing is like the bird that comes drops a load of shit right into the middle of the pie. At least that's the way I see it. The Astro's lineup is still longer than ours. If these were insurance moves- I'd get it. But it looks like they are both in the starting lineup on opening day.

And yes it does stink of that no baseball knowledge figurehead douchebag Levine with with his roadkill haircut troll looking ass. There hasn't been much to complain about so far until today but I can honestly tell you that I knew it was coming the whole time. They just can't help themselves.
0 x

Paterson

Postby Paterson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 pm

BigGuy wrote:
joeybagadonutz38 wrote:
Paterson wrote:
Dumb ass move.

YEP. And that pretty much punches Torres and Andujar to AAA to start the season. I would have rather seen Andujar start at 3B and Drury play 2B with Torres getting back into baseball at AAA. He hasn't hit a lick yet but there was really no need to sign Walker. It cuts into what we can afford to trade for as well if we need an expensive pitcher at the break. I think they have $15 Mil left but this money would have been better spent on a lefty reliever to replace Shreve IMO.

They were both going down anyway. Even if Torres was ready they weren't losing a chance to get a full year more for him before free agency. Andujar's bat deserves the promotion but they obviously aren't in love with his defense, and Cashman is a defense guy. Drury is one of Cashman's man crushes. He's tried to get him before. They didn''t pick him up to ride the bench.

This move was rumored before the Drury deal went thru. I'm not in love with this move. I don't see the need for this one. Not with Drury, Wade, and Torreyes in NY even ahead of Torres and Andujar. Another blocker to the 2 kids. This smells a little like a Levine move. I expect Drury at 3rd and Walker at 2d on opening day now.

If Cashman is a defense guy what the hell is he doing ? Walker, Gregorius and Bird all suffer from limited range...and Drury has that plus inexperience at 3rd. He has a total of 40 major league games there. This is about hitting home runs. Wade is a better defender than any of those guys and has a lot more speed. What he cannot do is hit home runs. All Cashman cares about are home runs.
0 x

davis2

Postby davis2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:47 pm

yank0428 wrote:
davis2 wrote:
hampfan wrote:
I agree with you about that, 04. On the other issue, I apologize for beating on a dead horse. The more accurate way of expressing my viewpoint about Gardner is that it's not he per se who's blocking other prospects, but it's rather Cashman and certain individuals in the upper echelons of the Steinbrenner Star Chamber who keep preventing Gardner from leaving or being even possibly replaced. And now that he’s winning awards for kids and has his now and then hitting streaks (like recently in ST), how will anyone in the Yankee upstairs suits ever let him go? Never! When the (right) question comes up with Gardner as our starting LH and his .264 lifetime batting average (and yes, I know he has a decent WAR)--the question, that is: For the position he plays, could we do better, or at least take a chance on doing better with one of our minor-league challengers like Gamel, Fowler, McKinney, Frazier, Florial?--the knee-jerk response is always: No. Stats don’t matter in his case; he’s a gutsy on-base s.o.b. whom opposing pitchers (strangely) don’t throw at, given this cocky, gutsy attitude. (He certainly deserves the Billy Martin award.) At best, Cashman keeps reciting the usual mantra whenever asked about keeping him around: “We’ll see at the end of the season.” But Gardner’s getting peanuts as far as major league salaries go, so Cashman will certainly take the option of keeping him at 12.5 for next year unless some unforeseen nosedive in his performance occurs this season. Not likely. And so the beat will go on. No younger player has received or will receive a full chance (and not one of those “Show your prowess in the occasional games you play or else back to AAA for you”) to prove he deserves to play that position until Gardner, sainted by the press and kids’ awards and fans all over the place, himself decides to retire. Cashman will trade away young prospects to get another pitcher, even a #3 starter like Sonny Gray, but never include Gardner in such a trade. Cashman’s all but said as much in the past--he apparently has never received a “good enough” offer for Gardner, even when some writers speculated that he was on the trading block in the winter market. Ironically, Gardner even has Ellsbury (davis gives the game away w/ his put-down nick-naming) to thank for continuing to stay as our preferred OF starter. Yes, Ellsbury's the obvious scapegoat for fans and sportswriters--he's the problem (and by all means, don’t forgive him for his concussion), since his contract per performance is way out of whack. So let's get rid of Ellsbury and make way for the new kid(s) on the block--don't even think of Gardner in the same context. As I said, I'm beating on a dead horse. I see that, but acceptance is hard for all of us on certain issues.
Hey hamp, the dead horse whispered to me that you need to stop beating him. He says he has maybe 1 kick left in him, and it has your name on it! And he also said to tell you Ellsfairy deserves the name since he is never playing due to some boo-boo. Davis just wants to motivate him with a bit of tough love...

It's pretty funny Davis. Hamp says he's going to lay off Gardner but he can't help himself. I used to get on Gardner because I thought he should utilize his speed better but he turned me around with his leadership, clutch hitting,hustle and increased power. If they have a good young player ready to take over no problem if they move on but Hamp can't let go. I think he needs an intervention.
It is hilarious! He just cannot see what the rest of us do in Gardy... I still think Gardy smiled at his wife or something, the hate has to have a better reason than an alleged blocking offense. And Gardner cannot control whether the Yanks keep him or not, but hamp thinks he does. Funny stuff!
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

davis2

Postby davis2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 pm

yank0428 wrote:
joeybagadonutz38 wrote:Also there was no video of the game yesterday but Andujar played most of the game at 3B. Suzyn and John both commented on how he looked great there and made some really nice plays. Boone commented as well during an inning saying that he'd made great strides on D.

Well kid- here's your payoff for 2018 and they probably bury you behind Machado who will get obscenely overpaid in 2019 and then maybe we trade you to the Rays. And here I thought the culture had finally changed. Mid 30's stop gap vets are like big fat irresistible crack rocks to a crack head. They just can't help themselves.

I get Torres isn't ready yet but I thought Wade had showed he deserved a chance. Find out what he has. Maybe he will still get his shot. Hopefully they bring Walker in to back up 2nd and 1st. Switch hitter. Probably could still move him at some point. Feel bad for Wade and Andujar.
It will work out in the end.
0 x
The Red Sox Suck!

qwik3457bb

Postby qwik3457bb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 pm

joeybagadonutz38 wrote:
Paterson wrote:
joeybagadonutz38 wrote:
I take that to be exactly what it means. Hate this move. The obligatory annual lets block a prospect with a 30-something average veteran player. No upside here.

Dumb ass move.

Let's assume they have $12 to $14 million left under the luxury tax payroll cap.

In June or July, they can still trade for a young pitcher making up to $20 million, and a good lefty reliever making up to $6-8 million because only half their salaries will count against the cap.
0 x
Knowledge is good.
Emil Faber, 1904

qwik3457bb

Postby qwik3457bb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47 pm

joeybagadonutz38 wrote:
1955Yanksfan wrote:The Yanks are reportedly signing Neil Walker. He's a guy I liked before we got Drury but now he doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I wonder if this means that we don't see Andujar or Torres this year and either Torreyes or Wade don't the 25 man squad.

I take that to be exactly what it means. Hate this move. The obligatory annual lets block a prospect with a 30-something average veteran player. No upside here.

The annual block a prospect move is usually for a below average 30-something player.
Walker is at least still average.

Walker will be going down with his annual back injury...
...right about the time that Torres is ready to be brought up to the majors.
0 x
Knowledge is good.
Emil Faber, 1904

qwik3457bb

Postby qwik3457bb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 pm

BigGuy wrote:Ken Singleton is leaving the Yankees booth

By Justin Terranova March 12, 2018

Ken Singleton (from left) with Michael Kay and David Cone YES Network

The YES Network’s revolving booth will have a different look next season.

Ken Singleton, who has been a Yankees analyst since 1997, announced Monday morning that this would be his final year with the YES Network.

“This will be my final season of calling baseball games,” Singleton wrote on Twitter. “I’ve been playing or talking baseball ever since I was 4 years old. It’s time for this enjoyable ride to end. Thanks fans for allowing me into your homes & businesses. It’s been my pleasure.”
Singleton told The Post recently he was thrilled when he arrived at spring training this season, amid the excitement of Giancarlo Stanton’s arrival.

“This time of year when I get there I am kind of excited to just hear the crack of the bat against the ball, to me it’s a special sound that you don’t hear all winter,” Singleton said.

I'm very sad to hear that. He's the best thing they have in either broadcast booth, TV or radio.

Singleton is smart as heck, very knowledgeable about all aspects of the game, gives an accurate game call on those few occasions when he has to, never shoves himself and his ego into the broadcast ahead of the game itself (like some radio people we know all too well), and a consummate professional and a class act.

But he is 70 years old, and maybe wants to get out while he still has some time to enjoy life. No one can blame him much for that, I think.
0 x
Knowledge is good.
Emil Faber, 1904

qwik3457bb

Postby qwik3457bb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Walker's marginal value is something like $15-20 million over a full season, so even if he plays just 1/3 of a season, his value covers his salary.

They'd have done with Todd Frazier months ago if Frazier would've settled for a one year deal, but he wanted at least two years.
0 x
Knowledge is good.
Emil Faber, 1904

Return to “Yankees”